1. The meeting was called to order at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 in the President's Conference Room, Green Hall, Chairperson Swallow presiding. All members were present.
2. The Executive Committee met with Vice Provost Beauvais and Ms. Morrissey from 1:00 to 2:30 pm. Discussion concerned the establishment of the Task Forces and review of the charges. Ms. Morrissey and Vice Provost Beauvais provided information based on suggestions from the deans. The FSEC provided names for possible appointees to Task Forces that were not completed. It was noted that three of the Task Forces are already working: General Education, Enrollment Management and the Diversity Task Force. The list of members of these three Task forces is attached to the Minutes of the meeting.
3. The Minutes from FSEC Meeting #21, December 18, 2009 were approved.
a. Provost DeHayes is sponsoring a Faculty Forum on Engaging Students in Learning on Friday, January 29, 2010 from 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union. Ms, Grubman reported that a "hold the date" announcement went out earlier in the month and an invitation to all faculty will be sent at the beginning of the semester.
b. Chairperson Swallow reported that Dr. Jason Pina, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, had requested an additional faculty member for the Student Rights and Responsibilities Committee (SR&R). The FSEC reviewed the list of current members: Jim Agostinucci, PHT, (11) Godi Fischer, ELE, (10) and Bridget Ruemmele, PLS, (11) and suggested possible members to Ms. Grubman, who said that she would follow-up on the request.
c. Ms. Grubman distributed the schedule of Executive Committee meetings for the spring semester. Provost DeHayes is scheduled to meet with them on February 1, March 1 (subsequently changed to March 8), April 5 and May 3 from 12-1 p.m. President Dooley is scheduled for February 15, March 15 and April 26.
d. Ms. Grubman announced that the Administrator Evaluation of Dean Mark Higgins had been completed at the end of the fall 2009 semester.
5. Chairperson Swallow reported that he hadn't heard from Vice President Alfonso about the patent policy modifications, but would continue to pursue a meeting with the Vice President by the end of January.
6. The Executive Committee reviewed a draft Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #5, January 28, 2010, and approved it in final form pending receipt of all of the requested reports and materials.
7. Chairperson Swallow asked the committee to consider whether they should pursue the idea of coordinating faculty presentations to legislators or other state decision-makers during the spring break. He said that he planned to discuss this idea with President Dooley and Senator Rice before moving ahead with the possibility.
8. Chairperson Swallow announced that he had just received a memorandum from Provost DeHayes with regard to Staff Support for the Faculty Senate and distributed copies to members of the FSEC. In his memorandum, Provost DeHayes said that he and President Dooley were assigning Ms. Eileen Orabone to the Faculty Senate for approximately 1/2 time.
Ms. Grubman said that she was very pleased that Ms. Orabone, who is very capable and experienced, would be working with her.
Chairperson Swallow said that he would thank the Provost and President on behalf of the Senate for understanding the Faculty Senate's needs and assigning such an outstanding person.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:30 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
Membership of Academic Plan Task Forces as of January 19, 2010.
Diversity Task Force
Donald DeHayes, Provost, Chair
Laura Beauvais, Interim Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
Nasser Zawia, Interim Dean of the Graduate School
Professor Anne Hume, College of Pharmacy
Rainer Lohmann, Oceanography
Laurie Lauzon Clabo. Nursing
Wylie Dassie, IV, Nursing
Kyle Kusz, Kinesiology
Paul Mangiameli, Business Administration
Charles Watson, Engineering
Mayrai Gindy, Civil Engineering
Marcia Morreira, Environment and Life Sciences CCE
Earl Smith, Arts and Sciences
Annu Palakunnathu Matthew, Art and Art History
Naomi Caldwell, Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Dania Brandford-Calvo, International Education and National Student Exchange
Joanne Lynch, Admissions Office
Peter Larsen, University Library
Tammy Vargas Warner, BGS Program
Patricia Morokoff, Equity Council & Psychology
Raymond Watson, Mount Hope Neighborhood Association
Nkolika Onye, Providence School Department
Enrollment Management - RETENTION Task Force:
Interim Vice Provost for Enrollment Management (Chair) - Dean Libutti,
Dean of Admission - Cindy Bonn
Director of Enrollment Services & Financial Aid - Harry Amaral
Director of Budget and Planning - Linda Barrett
Director of Planning Services - Ann Morrissey
Multicultural Student Services - Melvin Wade
Asst VP for Student Life - Chip Yensan
2 Deans from the Council of Deans - Mark Higgins, Nancy Fey-Yensan
Representative from Institutional Research - Gary Boden
Dean of University College - Jayne Richmond
Representative from the Faculty Senate Executive Committee - Nancy Eaton
Vice Provost, CCE - John McCray,
Faculty members - Liliana Gonzalez, Ann Marie Vaccaro, Deb Riebe
Dean of the Graduate School - Nasser Zawia
Chair of the Equity Council - Patricia Morokoff
Senior Associate Director of Enrollment Services (Registrar)- Jack Humphrey
Staff Member from Capital Planning - Ryan Carrillo
General Education Task Force
Rachel DiCioccio, Communication Studies, Faculty Senate Executive Committee, Chair
Judith Swift, Coastal Institute
Jayne Richmond, University College
Peter Larsen, Library
John Stevenson, Psychology
Sandy Hicks, Education
Ann Hubbard, Feinstein CCE
Mike Honhart, History
Laura Beauvais, Business, Interim Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
Barbara O'Brien, Nursing
Valerie Maier-Speredelozzi, Engineering
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)