Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #23

March 1, 2007

1. The meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 1, 2007, in the Provost's conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present.

2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #22, February 22, 2007 were approved.

3. Announcements/Correspondence

a. Chairperson Rice noted that the Executive Committee had received the Agenda for the February 28 Meeting of the Council of Deans by e-mail and asked if there were any items the committee wanted to discuss. There were none.

b. Chairperson Rice reported on the February 26, 2007 Meeting of the Board of Governors. He said that the open forum portion of the meeting was devoted to comments in opposition to the Governor's proposed furlough of state workers. He said that the Board did not to act on the Governor's Executive Order about furloughs.

He said that the Board had acted on a number of issues of relevance to the University and the Faculty Senate, including the elimination of the B.S. in Environmental Plant Biology and the B.S. in Water and Soil Science, the new purchasing policies for research sponsored by federal and third party funds, the endorsement of legislation for the creation of a new Research Foundation at URI (2007H-5455), endorsement of the Public Higher Education Endowment Incentive Program legislation (2007H-5064), endorsement of the Research matching funds legislation (2007H-5230), and approval of URI's honorary degrees.

c. Senator Barbour reported that she had received an inquiry about the results of National Survey of Student Engagement for 2006 as they relate to URI. Following discussion, the Executive Committee agreed to ask the Provost about the results and whether her office was following up on them.

d. The Executive Committee discussed the announcement the previous afternoon of Policy #07-1 "URI Catering Policy." They asked Chairperson Rice to remind Vice President Weygand about the approval procedure for new policies as outlined in Policy #80-1 in Appendix G of the University Manual.

e. Ms. Grubman reported that Provost Swan's April 5 meeting with the FSEC was rescheduled for April 19.

f. Ms. Grubman distributed copies of a February 26 memorandum from Vice Provost Pasquerella to Deans, Directors, Department Chairs and University Faculty regarding University Sanctioned Events.

4. The Executive Committee discussed Faculty Senate Meeting #5, February 22, 2007. Chairperson Rice agreed to follow-up on the resolution in support of H5230 by writing to appropriate members of the General Assembly and Governor Carcieri and encouraging passage of the H5230.

The Executive Committee noted that Vice President Weygand's report on the changes to the research purchasing policy and the establishment of a Research Foundation appeared to have been well received. They discussed whether they should introduce a resolution in support of the Research Foundation at the March 29 Faculty Senate Meeting.

Ms. Grubman reported that she had discussed the Joint Admissions Agreement with Professor Boulmetis, Chair of the Academic Standards and Calendar Committee because the proposed modification to Appendix F of the University Manual had been referred back to his committee for clarification. She said that at Professor Boulmetis' request she had forwarded the Board of Governors' Joint Admissions Agreement to the Executive Committee by e-mail. She said that the JAA could be downloaded from the Board's website.

5. The Executive Committee was brought up to date on the following matters of continuing concern:

a. 8.26.13 of the UNIVERSIRTY MANUAL: Ms, Grubman reported that Professor John Boulmetis, Chair of the Academic Standards and Calendar Committee had agreed to meet with the FSEC on March 8 at 10:00 a.m. She said that she would forward all of the relevant materials to Professor Boulmetis when she confirmed his meeting with the FSEC.

b. SLIAAC recommendation: Senator Barbour reported that she had shared the draft FSEC Report #06-07-5 on the joint committee with her SLIAAC subcommittee. She said that the responses so far had been positive. It was agreed to include the Report on the Agenda for the March 29 Faculty Senate Meeting.

c. Online Courses: The Executive Committee reviewed the memorandum that Vice Chairperson Luebke had sent to Provost Swan regarding online courses that had not been approved as of February 26 for offering this summer. Vice Chairperson Luebke reported that Vice Provost Pasquerella had informed the CAC that each of the instructors for those courses had been contacted by her office and reminded that their courses may not be offered without CAC approval.

The Executive Committee briefly discussed issues related to copyrights and online publishing as they relate to online courses. Ms. Grubman suggested that the FSEC review Appendix H of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL to see if this issue was covered in Appendix H of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL. (See http://www.uri.edu/facsen/Appendix_H.html).

d. Administrator Evaluation: Ms. Grubman reported that she had attended a meeting the previous afternoon with Provost Swan, Dean Farmer and Senator Rosen, the Administrator Evaluation Coordinator to review the Administrator Evaluation process. She also shared the list of possible members of Dean Farmer's Administrator Evaluation Committee (AEC), which had been forwarded to her by Senator Rosen. Following discussion, the Executive Committee selected the following persons from the list of volunteers: Professor Jennifer Specker, Professor D. Randolph Watts and Dr. Percy L. Donaghay, Senior Marine Research Scientist.

Ms. Grubman said that Dean Farmer and Provost Swan would each have the opportunity to appoint a faculty member to Dean Farmer's AEC.

e. Accreditation Update: Senator Kowalski reported on progress towards meeting the NEASC self-study deadline for releasing the first draft to the University Community. It was agreed that portions could be released first to the deans and then to the rest of the academic community, beginning about mid-March.

The Executive Committee discussed the possibility of holding an open forum on the released draft sections at the March 26 Faculty Senate Meeting.

f. JSPC: The Executive Committee reviewed the proposed addition to the charge to the JSPC on institutional effectiveness and agreed to forward it to the JSPC for approval. The proposal is to add the following sentence as the third from the last sentence in section 5.70.10:

The committee shall be responsible for the periodic and systematic review of various aspects of institutional effectiveness and shall ensure that the results of these reviews are used for continuing improvement.

g. Academic Program Review Committee (APRC): The Executive Committee discussed the committee, which had been established the previous academic year but had not yet been appointed. (See http://www.uri.edu/facsen/CHAPTER_506.html#5.86.10.) The FSEC agreed that they should proceed with getting the committee together as soon as possible. Ms. Grubman agreed to contact President Carothers and Provost Swan about their designees and asked the members of the FSEC to think about which faculty members they might ask to serve on the new committee.

h. Ad Hoc Committee to Review 8.87.10-11: Ms Grubman announced that the committee was comprised of the following members:

Dean Winnie Brownell, President Carothers' designee,
Vice Provost Pasquerella, Provost Swan's designee
Chairperson Michael Rice, 2006-07 FSEC
Senator Jim Kinnie, 2006-07 FSEC
Senator Jim Miller, 2006-07 FSEC

Ms. Grubman said that she was in the process of scheduling the committee's first meeting, but was having some difficulty with finding an acceptable time.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:05 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman