Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #23

March 10, 2008

1. The meeting was called to order at 9:05 a.m. on Monday, March 10, 2008 in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Miller presiding. All members were present except Vice Chairperson Martin who arrived later in the meeting.

2. The Minutes of Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting #22, March 3, 2008, were approved as corrected pending review by Assistant Vice President Wyman of sections that pertained to him.

3. Announcements/Correspondence

a. Ms. Grubman reported on the results of the e-mail poll of Senators on proposed legislation to arm campus police. She said that thirty Senators had responded, 5 in favor and 25 opposed.

The Executive Committee asked Ms. Grubman to forward the results to President Carothers and to members of the Senate.

b. Ms. Grubman reported that the following meetings of the Board of Governors had been scheduled but she had not been able to obtain the Agenda to-date. She said that she would share them with the FSEC when they became available:

1) Academic and Student Affairs Subcommittee on March 14 at 8:30 a.m.

2) Board of Governors Meeting on March 24 at 5:00 p.m. in URI Foundation Building.

4. The Executive Committee met with Dr. DeHayes from 9:30 to 10:40. Dr. DeHayes said that the budget should be the main topic for discussion because it was central to any of the issues that the Executive Committee had identified for their conversation.

Dr. DeHayes expressed concern about the predicted shortfall in the budget as URI enters into FY'09. He said that he continued to become as familiar as possible with the University's budget as he prepares to assume the Office of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs in April.

Dr. DeHayes said that the University would be facing a few lean years and that everyone must focus on how to ensure that URI comes out of this period in a stronger position. He said that URI was not at a point that it could stay the same and expressed concern that, as URI tries to reduce expenses and increase revenue, the goal should be to create a bright future for the institution.

Dr. DeHayes said that the Strategic Plan did not have as much emphasis on an Academic Plan as it should and reported that he has already asked the Deans to work with him to develop a strategic plan that includes a sustainable budget that allows for investment.

Dr. DeHayes and the Executive Committee discussed the need to increase student retention. He noted that many of the students who come to the university might not have clear expectations of what URI is. He also talked about the necessity for finding a mechanism to fund some out-of-state tuition fellowships for graduate research assistants as a means of attracting outstanding students and adding more flexibility for faculty pursuing grants.

Dr. DeHayes asked the Executive Committee for suggestions as to how he could meet and talk with more faculty members as he becomes more familiar with the campus. The Executive Committee suggested that he bypass large college meetings and go directly to academic department chairs.

Dr. DeHayes thanked the FSEC for their support and thanked the Executive Committee for their willingness to work with him.

Chairperson Miller suggested that Dr. DeHayes might want to speak briefly to the Senate at the April 24 meeting.

When Dr. DeHayes left the meeting, the FSEC resumed their regular order of business.

5. The Executive Committee discussed the following matters of continuing interest:

a. Administrator Evaluation: Ms. Grubman reported that she hadn't received notification from Dean McKinney's AEC that they had completed their charge, but expected it shortly. She said that invitations to participate in the evaluations of Vice Provost McCray and Dean Richmond had been mailed to the members of their respective constituency groups.

b. Branding Initiative: Chairperson Miller reported that Professor Dholakia and Ms. Acciardo had volunteered to survey faculty and staff about the branding proposals. He said that they expected to be completed before the March 27 Faculty Senate meeting.

c. URI 101: Senator Costello and Ms. Grubman reported on the UCGE Committee's discussion of the subcommittee report. They said that the committee planned to discuss the report further at their April meeting and hoped to be able to report to the Senate on April 24.

d. Activities of Committees: Ms. Grubman reported that the Teaching Effectiveness Committee had been working with student focus groups on issues related to academic advising. She said that she expected the committee to report to the Senate in March.

e. Matching Funds Legislation: Chairperson Miller said that he planned to meet with Dean Seemann and Dr. Costa-Pierce to discuss the possibility of proposing coordinated matching funds legislation this spring.

6. The Executive Committee discussed plans for reviewing and approving the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #7, March 27, 2008. Ms. Grubman reported that the deadline for submitting reports was March 12 and noted that the FSEC didn't plan to meet on March 17 during spring break. She then outlined what she expected to be included in the March 27 Agenda.

Following discussion, the Executive Committee agreed to review the Agenda and reports by e-mail.

7. It was noted that the FSEC was scheduled to meet with Provost Swan on March 24, but the committee agreed that since they had met with the Provost in Late February that the meeting should only be scheduled if Provost Swan requested it.

8. Chairperson Miller reported that Professor Kowalski, who was a member of the committee reworking the SETs, had asked to meet with the Executive Committee. It was agreed that Ms. Grubman would schedule him for a future meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:00 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman