Call to order at 3:08 p.m. in the President's Conference Room, Green
Hall. All members of the Executive Committee were present.
2. Minutes: Ms. Grubman has not had time to complete the Minutes from FSEC Meetings #20, #21 and #22. Senator Costello agreed to take the minutes of this meeting to help her get caught up.
4. Follow-up on Faculty Senate Meeting # 6, March 26, 2009:
a. The long list of volunteers for the Ad Hoc Committee on site selection for the Research Park was reviewed. President Carothers requested a balanced committee representative of faculty concerned about both research and teaching. A committee was selected from the list of volunteers that represented a range of disciplines and that included some student members.
The charge to the committee was discussed and drafted as follows:
The Faculty Senate charges the committee to consider the questions below and make a recommendation to the Master Plan Review Team, the President, and the Faculty Senate Executive Committee by April 27, 2009.
- Are there compelling reasons to site the Research Park in the Century Forest and that portion of the North Woods now used as a natural outdoor laboratory? Are these sites the only viable options on the Kingston Campus?
- What other sites on the Kingston Campus or in the North Woods might be used for the Research Park?
b. Ad Hoc Committee on Priorities for the Character and Facilities of the Research Park: The committee decided that it would be a good idea to review the list of participants on Session 8 in the Summit to solicit their participation on this committee. There is no time constraint for the formation or activities of this committee.
5. Update on matters of continuing concern:
a. The Presidential Search: Chairperson Martin noted that there was not yet an announcement of the finalists for the President's position.
b. JSPC: The Committee agreed to present the list of members and the charge to the Ad Hoc Committee on site selection for the Research Park at the next meeting on April 9, 2009.
c. There is no news on the Blue Ribbon Study Commission on the Future of URI.
d. The program for the April 16 Faculty Forum on Learning and Discovery is set, and the speakers are Barbara Newman, Kathleen Gorman, and Malcolm Spaulding.
e. The Committee is pleased to see that the Provost has sent out a call for proposals regarding his general education initiative and that this initiative is being supported with resources for faculty planning.
f. There are a number of small programs that have been triggered for review. The Committee is unsure of the process for review and agreed to ask the Provost about this at their next meeting with him on April 14.
6. Topics for April 7 Meeting with President Carothers
The Committee decided to ask the President three questions to be discussed over our next two meetings with him.
1. Is there anything you would have liked to have done differently in your tenure as President?
2. What advice would you give to the incoming President?
3. On what issues do you think the Faculty Senate should be focusing its efforts?
7. There was no unfinished business.
8. New Business
The Committee decided that in their next meeting with the Provost, they would also ask him about follow-up to the Academic Summit in terms of his idea of creating task forces to plan new directions for the future.