The meeting was called to order at 3: 07 p.m. on Tuesday, April 7, 2009 in the President's Conference Room in Green Hall, Chairperson Martin presiding. All members were present.
2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #20, February 24, 2009 were approved as corrected. Ms. Grubman explained that she was still very much behind in writing meeting minutes.
a. Ms Grubman announced that Dean Richmond had sent copies of the Freshman Orientation brochure for summer 2009 and asked members of the Executive Committee to share them.
b. The Executive Committee noted that Provost DeHayes had appointed Professor Nasser Zawia Interim Dean of the Graduate School. The announcement had been e-mailed separately earlier that day.
4. The Executive Committee was brought up-to-date on the following matters of continuing concern:
a. The Presidential Search: Chairperson Martin reported briefly on her impressions of the three finalists who were to be brought on campus for interviews. She said that she had been pleased with the Search Process and that the Search Committee believed that each was unique and met the qualifications in different ways:
- Dr. Sona Andrews, Provost of Boise State University;
- Dr. Robert Newman, Dean of the College of Humanities and Associate Vice President for Interdisciplinary Studies at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City;
- Dr. David M. Dooley, Provost of Montana State University.
Members of the FSEC noted that that there had been articles in the Providence Journal on each of them.
The Executive Committee agreed to discuss their impressions of each of the candidates after the interviews.
b. Following up on Ad Hoc Committees: It was agreed to wait until the Ad Hoc Committee to Collaborate with the Administration on the Site of the Proposed Research Park has concluded its work before appointing the members of the Ad Hoc Committee to Review Priorities for the Research Park.
Senator Swallow reported briefly on his efforts to coordinate the Ad Hoc Committee on the Research Park Site; researching various background documents and ensuring that the committee is neutral. He said that an initial meeting was scheduled with the help of Ms. Palmer of his department and he expected almost everyone to attend.
c. Faculty Forum on Learning and Discovery: Chairperson Martin said that all of the preparations for the April 16 forum had been completed. She asked members of the Executive Committee to encourage their colleagues to attend.
5. The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their April 14 meeting with Provost DeHayes:
a. An update on goals for a strategic plan and possible areas for implementation task forces;
b. The Graduate School;
c. The process for reviewing small programs.
6. The Executive Committee met with President Carothers from 4:30 - 5:00 p.m. His ACE fellow, Dr. Andrew Harris, accompanied President Carothers. Discussion ensued on the Executive Committee's questions to him about looking back over the past 18 years. The President shared what he felt had been his successes and what he would have liked the opportunity to do over. The discussion was informal and no notes were taken.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
Sheila Black Grumban
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)