Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes   #25

February 8, 2010

1. The meeting was called to order at 11:05 a.m. on Monday, February 8, 2010 in the President's Conference Room, Green Hall, Chairperson Swallow presiding. All members were present.

2. The Minutes from FSEC Meeting #24, February 1, 2010 were approved pending consultation with Provost DeHayes about those portions that pertained to his meeting with them.

3. Announcements/Correspondence.

a. Chairperson Swallow reported that he had met with Vice President Alfonso and Mr. Saccoccio earlier that morning about the Faculty Senate's role with regard to the patent policy and royalties. He shared with the FSEC a letter that Mr. Saccoccio had given him at that time.

Following discussion of the letter, the Executive Committee agreed that despite Mr. Saccoccio's opinion that the Research Foundation did have the authority to collect expenses before distributing the revenues, there was still a need to create an opportunity to consider other opinions.

The Executive Committee agreed that their next step was to schedule an FSEC meeting with Vice President Alfonso and Mr. Saccoccio to discuss the matter.

b. The Executive Committee discussed correspondence with Senators Roworth and Kirschenbaum about the 4-credit course issue and how it has been perceived on campus in light of their discussion with Provost De Hayes and Ms. Morrissey the previous week. Chairperson Swallow said that he and Vice Chairperson Ordoñez were planning to meet for lunch with their AAUP counterparts the next day.

The Executive Committee suggested that Chairperson Swallow clarify with Ms. Morrissey some of the questions raised by Senators Roworth and Kirschenbaum before meeting them for lunch on Tuesday.

After further discussion, the FSEC agreed that further clarifications about the 4-credit issue were necessary and that they should take on the responsibility for coordinating the effort. Senators Eaton and Honhart agreed to meet as a subcommittee of the FSEC to consider the possibility of establishing an ad hoc committee to ensure a campus-wide faculty dialogue about 4-credit issues. They decided that such a committee would be very useful because there were so many groups looking at aspects of four-credit courses from different directions.

4. Ms. Grubman reported on correspondence with the Council for Research with regard to review of Centers that are not research centers. She explained that the Council for Research had voted to refer non-research centers to Student Affairs for review. Ms Grubman said that she had informed Ms. Diehl, who provides staff support to the Council for Research, that the establishment and review of centers was an academic issue under the Faculty Senate. Ms. Grubman shared with the FSEC sections 8.85.10-17 and 8.90.10-40 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL.

Ms. Grubman reported that she had received a proposal from the Council for Research for the Osher Lifelong Learning Center, which was not a "research center." Following discussion, the Executive Committee agreed that the appropriate body to review the Center and possibly recommend to the Provost that it be given temporary status is the Curricular Affairs Committee.

Ms. Grubman said that she would ask the Council for Research to forward all centers they did not consider "research centers" to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee for a determination as to who should conduct the reviews.

5. The Executive Committee discussed their role in the URI Helping Haiti fundraising campaign. They asked Ms. Grubman to write to academic department chairs suggesting that faculty members in their departments make contributions to the URI Helping Haiti account at the URI Foundation (5060). Ms. Grubman said she would contact Senators, Department Chairs and Deans by the end of the week.

6. Chairperson Swallow reported that he had been asked about the Administrator Evaluation of the Vice President for Research, who has been at URI for at least 3 years and hasn't been evaluated. Ms. Grubman explained that she and Administrator Evaluation Coordinator, Professor Rosen, had been working with the Provost over the last few years to establish a cycle for administrators who report to the Provost.

Ms. Grubman said that the Vice President for Research and Economic Development and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs reported to the President and noted that administrator evaluation had not had not been discussed with President Dooley.

7. The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their February 15 meeting with President Dooley:

a. An update on the Strategic Budget and Planning Council.

b. URI's patent policy and distribution of royalties.

c. Administrator Evaluation

The meeting was adjourned at 1:10 p.m. Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman

NEWS FROM FACULTY SENATE

EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14

 

Michael W. Honhart, Professor of History 2014 Recipient of the Sheila Black Grubman Faculty Outstanding Service Award

URI ACADEMIC PROGRAM REVIEW

OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)

University Libraries LibGuides

QUICK LINKS