1. The meeting was called to order at 12:35 p.m. on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 in the third floor conference room in Green Hall, Chairperson Rice presiding. All members were present.
2. Copies of the draft Minutes of Meeting #27, March 22, 2006 were distributed. It was agreed that the FSEC would review the Minutes during the upcoming week and consider them formally at their next meeting.
3. The Executive Committee discussed Faculty Senate Meeting #7, which had been held on March 23, 2006. The Executive Committee agreed that President Carothers had presented a very strong case for the current budget situation being more serious than in previous years. They also expressed appreciation for the President's request for budget advice from members of the Senate.
After discussion, the Executive Committee asked Senator Kowalski to draft a memo to the University community following up on President Carothers presentation and request.
The Executive Committee also discussed the detailed and informative report that they had received from Professor Ramstad on behalf of the Athletics Advisory Board. Senator Kowalski moved that the FSEC thank the Athletics Advisory Board for their diligence and work this year.
With the exception of Senator Luebke, who has recused herself from the vote because she was a member of the Athletics Advisory Board, the motion was approved unanimously.
4. The Executive Committee discussed the following matters of continuing concern:
a. Faculty Survey: Following discussion of the most recent draft of the survey, the Executive Committee asked Ms. Grubman to forward the draft to Professor Costello and request her advice about the document.
b. Administrator Evaluation: Ms. Grubman reported that Senators Laurie Lauzon Clabo from Nursing and James Miller from Ocean Engineering had agreed to serve on the ad hoc committee on administrator evaluation with Professor Rosen, Assistant Provost Katz, and herself. The Executive Committee asked Ms. Grubman to prepare a recommendation for consideration by the Faculty Senate on April 20.
c. Futuring project: The Executive Committee agreed to recommend that the Faculty Senate endorse the establishment of a joint Blue Ribbon Committee on Positioning URI for the Future. Chairperson Rice said that he would consult with President Carothers and forward a revised draft for the Blue Ribbon Committee to the FSEC for their comments and suggestions.
d. Searches: Chairperson Rice reported that he had been able to participate in the interviews for the new Executive Director of the URI Foundation and provided the Executive Committee with information on each of the candidates he had met.
Chairperson Rice also noted that the University had selected a new Vice Provost for Information Services and the announcement should be forthcoming shortly.
e. NEASC Accreditation Update: Senator Kowalski reported that he and Associate Dean Beckman continued to work on the selection of committee chairs for the eleven NEASC Standards and expected to meet with the Provost at her earliest convenience. He said that after the meeting, he and Associate Dean Beckman planned to meet with the chairs to outline what would be expected from their committees as part of the NEASC Self-Study.
f. Administrative bottlenecks: It was noted that during the meeting with Vice President Weygand and his staff there had been a reference to a committee working to improve bottlenecks within the Division of Administration. The Executive Committee agreed to suggest to Vice President Weygand that faculty members be appointed to the committee so the committee had the opportunity to consider the issues from a faculty perspective.
5. Ms. Grubman explained to the Executive Committee that there were two matters that must be included on the April 20, 2006 Faculty Senate Agenda. She said that the Calendar of Senate Meetings and the Nominating Committee for Officers of the following year's Senate must be approved at the April Meeting. She said that she would provide the Executive Committee with a draft schedule of meetings and a list of senators eligible for the Nominating Committee at their next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:10 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)