Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting #6 – July 28, 2010
1. The meeting was called to order at 2:20 p.m. on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 in the second floor conference room in the Alumni Center, Chairperson Swallow presiding. All members were present.
2. The Minutes from FSEC Meeting #5, July 23, 2010, were approved.
a. Ms. Grubman announced that Professor David Bengtson, FAVS, and Professor Julie Coiro, EDC, had both agreed to serve on the Task Force on Process Streamlining. She said that the Provost’s Office intended to appoint an additional faculty member from their list of nominees.
b. Vice Chairperson Eaton announced that three candidates were finalists for the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management position. She said that the FSEC could expect to participate in interviews on the afternoons of August 10, 13, 17 and/or 19. These interviews would include the Executive Committees of the AAUP and the Faculty Senate as well as being open to the entire community. Members of the Executive Committee indicated that they could attend some but not all of the meetings. Vice Chairperson Eaton said that she was on the Search Committee and planned to attend all three interviews.
Vice Chairperson Eaton agreed to forward the Vice Provost position description to members of the FSEC. Ms Grubman was asked to inform Senators of the interviews once they were officially scheduled and to invite them to participate, or if that wasn’t possible, to contact the Executive Committee anyone had specific questions they would like the FSEC to ask.
4. The Executive Committee continued their discussion of possible faculty appointees to committees.
5. The Executive Committee discussed the following items, which remained from the 2009-10 academic year as part of their planning for the 2010-11 academic year.
a. 4-Credit Courses and Curricula: the Executive Committee decided that they should draft a resolution for the Faculty Senate on the 4-credit issue to be discussed by the community in the fall, and voted upon by the Faculty Senate no later than the October 21 meeting. Senator Barbour agreed to draft a resolution on the 4-credit issue based on Chairperson Swallow’s draft and the FSEC’s discussion.
b. General Education: Following discussion, Senators Larsen and Honhart agreed to draft a charge to the UCGE Committee for either a more flexible adaptation of the current program or the development of a more flexible new General Education Program.
c. Confucius Institute: Senator Honhart reported that the ad hoc committee reviewing the Confucius Institute was in the process of drafting their report. He said that the ad hoc committee’s recommendations would be forwarded to the FSEC and the Provost.
6. Ms. Grubman noted that she had forwarded a preliminary draft Report of the Constitution, By-Laws and University Manual Committee on Manual Changes Approved During the 2009-10 Academic Year to the FSEC and to Professor Wenisch. She explained that once the final version of the report was completed and approved by Professor Wenisch, she would recommend that the FSEC approve the report.
She noted that all of the Senate legislation included in the report was available for review on the web at http://www.uri.edu/facsen/Bills09-10.html.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubma