Regular Meeting of the Faculty Senate on Thursday, October 26, 2006 in the Cherry Auditorium, Chester Kirk Building
1. Call to order at 3:00pm
2. Disposition of Minutes of Faculty Senate Meeting #1, September 28, 2006 (Attached)
3. Reports of Officers and Executive Committee
C. Activities of the Joint Strategic Planning Committee (Minutes of September 14, 2006 attached pp. 16-17) - Senator Kinnie.
D. Update on NEASC Accreditation Self-Study -- Senator Kowalski.
4. Report of the President - President Carothers
A. Status of Actions Forwarded to the President:
#06-07--1 - Authorization of a Referendum of the General Faculty to Amend the Constitution of the Faculty Senate. Approved by President Carothers on October 11, 2006.
#06-07--2 - Curricular Report No. 2005-2006-8a from the Graduate Council to the Faculty Senate: Proposal for a Graduate Certificate in Digital Forensics. Approved by President Carothers on October 11, 2006.
#06-07--1 - Expression of Appreciation to Dr. Barbara Costello, Associate Professor of Sociology and Anthropology. Supported by President Carothers on October 11, 2006.
C. State of the Budget Address (attached pp. 18-26) - Vice President Weygand.
5. Reports of Standing and Special Committees
A. The Four Hundred Forty-Fourth Report of the Curricular Affairs Committee (attached pp. 27-35)
B. Curricular Report No. 2006-07-1 from the Graduate Council to the Faculty Senate (attached pp. 36-37) - Dean Bibb.
C. Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Administrator Evaluation (oral) - Senator Rosen.
6. Unfinished Business
A. The following recommendation of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee was introduced on September 28. It is now returned to the Faculty Senate for action:
- That the Faculty Senate authorize a change in Article III by replacing the title of Vice Provost for Graduate Studies, Research and Outreach with "Vice Provost for Research, Graduate Studies and Outreach and Dean of the Graduate School" in accordance with the provisions of Article VII, paragraphs 3 and 4, until such time as the constitutional amendment is approved by a referendum of the faculty.
B. At the September 28, 2006 meeting the following recommendation to amend section 5.70.11 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL was postponed definitely until President Carothers was available to participate in the discussion (the change is underlined):
- 5.70.11 The Joint Strategic Planning Committee shall be comprised of the President, who shall serve as Chair, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Vice Presidents for Administration, Student Affairs, and University Advancement, the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, a Dean representing the Council of Deans, two administrative staff members appointed by the President, the President of the Student Senate, and the President of the Graduate Student Association. It shall be staffed by the Executive Assistants to the President and Directors of Planning Services.
7. New Business
Full agenda are in the hands of all senators and department chairs. They are also available through email on Facsen-Bus and on the Faculty Senate home page (Facsen). Contact the Faculty Senate for details.
URI ACADEMIC PROGRAM REVIEW (5/24/13)
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)