Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting #36 – April 8, 2011
1. The meeting was called to order at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, April 8, 2011 in the President's Conference Room in Green Hall, Chairperson Eaton presiding. All members were present except Senator Krieger.
2. The Minutes from FSEC Meeting #35, April 1, 2011 were approved pending review by President Dooley of sections related to his portion of the meeting.
a. Ms. Grubman announced that the formation of the Administrator Evaluation Committee for Vice Provost Katz was completed. Faculty Senate appointees are Denise Coppa, NUR, Brett Lucht, CHM, and Sarina Wyant, LIB. Vice Provost Katz has selected Judith Swift, COM. Provost DeHayesŐ appointee is Peter August, NRS.
b. Members of the FSEC who had attended the PresidentŐs Conversation on April 6, reported on some of the matters that had been discussed. They informed the remaining members of the committee that President Dooley had taken the time to compliment Senator Hicks for her report to the Faculty Senate about goals and objectives for a revised General Education program. He also announced the establishment of the position of Associate Vice President for Community, Equity and Diversity.
Chairperson Eaton noted that President Dooley had contacted her prior to the Conversation to inform her about the position title and to discuss what he intended to say about the UCGE CommitteeŐs work.
4. Ms. Grubman outlined for the FSEC the items she expected to include on the April 21 Faculty Senate Faculty Senate Agenda. In addition to Reports from the CAC and Graduate Council, she expected a report from the Academic Standards and Calendar Committee on the drop period and informational reports from the Teaching Effectiveness Committee, Joint Classroom Steering Committee and the Athletics Advisory Board.
Senator Ciccomascolo said that she and Dean Killingbeck would also like a little time to present a report on graduate student learning outcome assessment.
Ms. Grubman reported that the Agenda for the April Meeting was also supposed to include the membership of the Nominating Committee and the schedule of Faculty Senate meetings for the following year.
After discussion, the Executive Committee selected William Krieger, Bethany Jenkins and Susan Roush for the Nominating Committee from the list of outgoing Senators. In addition, the Executive Committee agreed to the following meeting schedule for 2011-12:
3:00 p.m. on the following Thursdays in the Cherry Auditorium of the Chester H. Kirk Building:
September 22, 2011 January 26, 2012
October 20, 2011 February 23, 2012
November 17, 2011 March 22, 2012
December 15, 2011 April 19, 2012
May 10, 2012 (organizational)
It was also agreed as By-Law changes, the proposed revision to the timing of the election for the Faculty Senate Chair and Vice Chair should be introduced in April to be approved before the end of the year.
5. The Executive Committee discussed the following matters of continuing concern:
a. Service: Chairperson Eaton agreed to draft the Executive CommitteeŐs spring report on service for review by the Executive Committee.
In addition, the FSEC discussed the guidelines for selecting a recipient of the Faculty SenateŐs Outstanding Service Award. Senator Ciccomascolo agreed to have a draft for the committeeŐs consideration by the next meeting.
b. Advising: Senator Honhart reported that the ad hoc committee which he co-chaired with Dean Richmond was scheduled to hold their first meeting the following week.
c. General Education: The Executive Committee agreed that they had been pleased with the ProvostŐs response to Senator Hicks with regard to provide support for members of the UCGE Committee during the summer and also for agreeing to provide refreshments for some of the general education forums
d. Grand Challenges: Ms Grubman announced that a report by the UCGE Subcommittee on Assessment of General Education (SAGE) of their preliminary assessment of the grand challenges courses had been circulated to the UCGE Committee and agreed to forward the report to members of the Executive Committee
6. The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their April 15 meeting with President Dooley:
a. The survey regarding Provost DeHayes;
b. An update on the proposed Intellectual Property legislation;
The meeting was adjourned at 12:00 noon
Sheila Black Grubman