1. The meeting was called to order at 11:10 a.m. on Monday, April 23, 2012 in the President's Conference Room in Green Hall, Chairperson Eaton presiding. All members were present. Vice Chairperson-Elect Byrd was also in attendance.
2. The Executive Committee approved the Minutes of Meeting #26, March 26 and March 28, 2012 pending review by Provost DeHayes of those sections that pertained to his meeting with the FSEC. The Minutes from Meeting #29, April 16, 2012 were also approved.
3. The Executive Committee discussed Faculty Senate Meeting #8, which was held on April 19, 2012. Chairperson Eaton said that she had hoped that Senator Gale Eaton would have had time to finish her presentation of the Library Committee Report before the time for the meeting expired and was sorry time ran out.
The Executive Committee discussed the report of the University College and General Education and what possibly could have been done to allow more time for discussion of the Institutional Objectives and the Student Learning Outcomes. They agreed to discuss the report further when they meet with Senator Maier-Speredelozzi and Professor Hicks at noon.
4. The Executive Committee discussed the Revised Policy #00-1 Administration of Grants, Contracts and Gifts that had been forwarded to Ms. Grubman by Vice President Alfonso. They agreed that with one possible exception the changes had reflected changes in the titles of positions and divisions and were therefore editorial. Ms. Grubman agreed to check on the section they questioned to learn if the change had been the intentional result of an organization change or if it had been the result of an editorial oversight.
a. Following discussion, Ms. Grubman was asked to contact Provost DeHayes to find out whether he had any matters he wanted to discuss with them on April 25. It was agreed that given the busy time of year and the fact that their next scheduled meeting with the Provost was set for May 9, that he should be given the opportunity to suggest topics or cancel the meeting.
[The meeting was subsequently cancelled by mutual agreement.]
b. The FSEC discussed planning for the recess meeting on May 3. It was agreed that a special reminder should be sent to Senators to alert them that there would be a last meeting of the 2011-12 Faculty Senate on May 3 and to urge them to attend in order to meet quorum requirements.
c. Ms. Grubman briefly mentioned which reports were expected for the May 10 Agenda.
6. Senator Maier-Speredelozzi and Professor Hicks joined the Executive Committee at noon.
The meeting began with a review of the Faculty Senate's discussion on April 19. Concern was expressed that a series of small amendments to the proposed language of the Institutional outcomes had kept the Senate from dealing with the more substantive matters.
They decided that it was necessary to be very clear with Senators what they would be voting on if the institutional outcomes and principles were approved. Vice Chairperson Larsen agreed to draft language to clarify the intent of the process for considering the UCGE Committee's recommendations. This would ensure that Senators realize that the Institutional outcomes and the principles would guide the UCGE Committee as they consider possible structures but would not become final until the entire general education package is approved.
They agreed that the Institutional Objectives and Student Learning outcomes were intended to be the basis for what the University wants students learn by graduation. These outcomes would be the basis on which assessment would be developed. There was also consensus that any number of structures might be proposed within those objectives.
It was also determined that all references to structure should be eliminated, including renaming "structural principles" to "principles."
In response to the Executive Committee's suggestion that the UCGE Committee adopt an alternate statement of the principles, Senator Maier-Speredelozzi said that the changes in the alternate statement were more than editorial and would require approval by the UCGE Committee.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:35 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)