1. The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, July 28, 2011 in the Provost’s Conference Room in Green Hall, Chairperson Eaton presiding. All members were present except Senator Barber.
2. The Minutes from FSEC Meeting #1, June 28, 2011 were approved as corrected.
a. Chairperson Eaton announced that Vice Provost Beauvais had asked that the FSEC appoint members of the Search Committee for the Associate Vice President for Community, Equity and Diversity. It was agreed to appoint Vice Chairperson Larsen and Professor Creed from the College of Business Administration.
b. Ms. Grubman announced that although the FSEC had agreed to consider the CBUM Report on changes to the UNIVERSITY MANUAL by electronic mail, they hadn’t done so.
A motion was made to approve the CBUM Report on changes to the UNIVERSITY MANUAL, which only included legislation approved by the Faculty Senate during 2010-11. The motion carried.
c. Chairperson Eaton reported that Vice President Beagle had given a presentation to the SBPC about the marketing and other efforts underway in the Division of University Advancement. She said it had been very interesting and informative and suggested he be asked to make a similar presentation to the Faculty Senate in the fall. The FSEC agreed to invite Vice President Beagle to make a presentation.
Provost DeHayes joined the meeting briefly and invited members of the FSEC to attend the afternoon session of the Council of Deans’ retreat on August 17. He said that the Deans planned to discuss “cluster hires” and he wanted the FSEC to participate in the discussion.
4. The Executive Committee resumed their discussion of committees and considered potential faculty appointments.
5. Chairperson Eaton brought the FSEC up-to-date on the status of the proposed Intellectual Property legislation. She reported that she had attended a meeting Vice President Alfonso and Associate Vice President Petell held with academic deans about the proposed policy.
Following discussion, the Executive Committee suggested that Chairperson Eaton encourage Vice President Alfonso meet with faculty members closely involved in patents and to answer their questions and take their concerns into account before bringing a recommendation to the Intellectual Property Committee and the Council for Research.
6. Chairperson Eaton suggested that after conversations she had with the President and Provost about Administrator Evaluation, the Senate might want to reconsider the process outlined in the UNIVERSITY MANUAL.
The Executive Committee asked Ms. Grubman to provide them with the timetable of scheduled reviews before their next meeting. Ms. Grubman suggested that Professor Rosen, the Administrator Evaluation Coordinator, participate in any discussions of the process.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:10 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)