Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #12

November 2, 2011

 

1. The meeting was called to order at 3:05 p.m. on Wednesday, November 2, 2011 in the President's Conference Room in Green Hall, Chairperson Eaton presiding. All members were present.

2. Following discussion, the Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #10, October 19, were approved pending review by President Dooley of sections pertaining to him.

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

a. Chairperson Eaton announced that the Library Forum, sponsored by the Library Committee, was scheduled for November 4. Chairperson Eaton and Vice Chairperson Larsen both indicated that they planned to attend.

b. Chairperson Eaton and Vice Chairperson Larsen reported on their meeting with President Dooley. They said that they had discussed the University's policy with regard to controversial groups on campus in light of the upcoming program sponsored by the University's Young Republicans, which was expected to contain large images that many members of the community would find offensive.

The Executive Committee asked Chairperson Eaton to contact Vice President Dougan and suggest that members of the campus community be alerted to what to expect outside the Memorial Union on November 7 and 8.

Chairperson Eaton and Vice Chair Larsen also reported on discussions with the President about concerns that students may arrive at URI lacking some skills they need to perform college-level work. They said that they considered the possibility of asking the Teaching Effectiveness Committee to review the availability of resources on campus to support these students, as well as getting an idea how many students might need additional support.

c. The FSEC discussed the Board of Governors meeting on October 31. It was noted that the Board had voted to raise in-state tuition for FY13 pending the level of support it would receive from the state. The idea was that if state support increased, the tuition increase would be reduced.

4. The Executive Committee discussed matters of continuing concern.

a. Drop period legislation: Chairperson Eaton reported that the Academic Standards and Calendar Committee had discussed a timeline for implementing Faculty Senate Bill #10-11--23. She explained that Mr. Humphrey had explained that an effective date must be determined 18 months in advance of implementation.

b. Service Award: Senator Rice reported that he had received a positive response from the URI Foundation to the FSEC's suggestion for an annual service award. He agreed to draft a letter to the Foundation making a formal request for the award.

b. Culture of Community: The FSEC agreed that it would be important to find ways to bring faculty together to reinforce the feeling of community. They discussed the possibility of holding a campus-wide research-scholarship day to bring faculty from different fields together to discuss what faculty members are doing across campus.

c. Intellectual Property Policy: Chairperson Eaton reported that it was her understanding that Assistant Vice President Petell was working with the academic deans to develop an Intellectual Property Policy that would be more acceptable to researchers. She noted that any revision to the Intellectual Property Policy would require approval of the Council for Research before it could move forward.

5. Planning:

a. The Executive Committee began a preliminary discussion of the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #3, November 17, 2011. Ms. Grubman said that she expected a CAC Report, a Graduate Council Report and annual reports for 2010-11 from the Council for Research and the Honors Program and Visiting Scholars Committee. They also considered the possibility that they might have a report from the Academic Program Review Committee.

It was also noted that Dean Zawia planned to make announcements about a lecture that evening by an expert on graduate education and a retreat on graduate education for the following day.

b. The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their November 9 meeting with Provost DeHayes:

1) Status of cluster hires;

2) Possibility of remediation for accepted students who are not ready to take college-level mathematics, writing, and/or critical reading;

3) Establishing a university-wide research day for all faculty members, not only faculty conducting research with graduate students (similar to Discovery@URI).

The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman

 

NEWS FROM FACULTY SENATE

EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14

 

Michael W. Honhart, Professor of History 2014 Recipient of the Sheila Black Grubman Faculty Outstanding Service Award

URI ACADEMIC PROGRAM REVIEW

OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)

University Libraries LibGuides

QUICK LINKS