Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #11

October 26, 2011

 

1. The meeting was called to order at 3:10 p.m. on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 in the President’s Conference Room in Green Hall, Vice Chairperson Larsen presiding until Chairperson Eaton arrived.  All members were present.          

 

Members of the Executive Committee introduced themselves and welcomed Senator Davis to the committee.

 

2. The Executive Committee reviewed the Minutes of FSEC Meetings # 9 and #10.  After discussion, the Minutes from meeting #9 were approved pending Provost DeHayes’ review of portions pertaining to his meeting with the Executive Committee.  Following discussion, Ms. Grubman was asked to revise the Minutes from Meeting #10 based upon the FSEC’s suggestions.

 

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

 

a. Vice Chairperson Larsen reported on an e-mail he and Chairperson Eaton had received from Vice President Dougan regarding a forthcoming display outside the Memorial Union on November 8 and 9.  In his message, Vice President Dougan wrote:

 

URI College Republicans are sponsoring a genocide awareness project that is being conducted by the staff of the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform. The program is about abortion and this group is very anti-abortion. I am telling you this because the program will involve the displaying of large panels outside the memorial union near the flagpole courtyard and the panels are very large, graphic and very offensive to some. The university position on these types of events has always been to support any group’s first amendment rights to have the event but to make it clear that we do not endorse the group or its views.

 

Following discussion, the Executive Committee asked Chairperson Eaton to discuss the display with President Dooley and Vice President Dougan about parameters for permitting such displays outside the Memorial Union.

             

b. Senator Davis agreed to represent the FSEC at the forum on faculty perspective on the campus culture.  This forum, scheduled for Tuesday, November 1 from 9:00-10:00 a.m. was part of a student project for HDF 560.

c. Chairperson Eaton reminded everyone that the Library Forum is scheduled for Friday, November 4 from 8:00 a.m.-noon in Atrium 1 and 2, Memorial Union.  This forum, sponsored by the Faculty Senate Library Committee, would include a guest speaker followed by workshops.  Chairperson Eaton and Vice Chairperson Larsen said they planned to attend.

 

d. Chairperson Eaton reported that after the Faculty Senate Forum, Associate Dean Quina informed her that there was a no faculty representation from ASFCCE on the Faculty Senate.  When Dean Quina had been a Senator, she tried to represent CCE as well as the Psychology Department in Arts and Sciences, but now that she was Associate Dean and there no longer was a full-time tenure track faculty member in Providence, there was no longer a faculty voice from ASFCCE.

 

Ms. Grubman explained that faculty members at the Providence Campus had home departments and Colleges in Kingston and the practice had been that Senators involved in CCE represented their departments and CCE as had Dean Quina.  She suggested that Dean Quina ask a Faculty Senator from Kingston who was active and interested in the Providence Campus to keep ASFCCE in mind during discussions that might affect the Providence Campus.

 

e. Senator Rice informed the FSEC that Professor Lee had asked him to welcome guests at the 24th Rhode Island Transportation Forum because Dean Wright was unable to attend.  He said that he planned to speak as a representative of the Executive Committee.

          

4. The Executive Committee reviewed Faculty Senate Meeting #2, October 20, 2011 and agreed that the issues raised during the Forum about Administration would be useful in charging an ad hoc committee to take another look at the Administrator Evaluation Process.  Chairperson Eaton said that she would share her notes from the Forum with the Executive Committee once they were written. 

 

Following discussion of the Report of the Ombud, the Executive Committee asked Ms. Grubman to contact Professor Emeritus Rose to find out whether he kept any records about students who had problems related to course syllabi.

                     

The Executive Committee discussed Vice President Beagle’s report to the Senate, which seemed to have been well received.  The FSEC asked Ms. Grubman to contact Vice President Weygand and Ms. Barrett to ask when the State of the Budget Report could be scheduled.

 

5. The Executive Committee began planning for Faculty Senate Meeting #3, November 17, 2011.  Ms. Grubman reported that both the Graduate Council and the Curricular Affairs Committee would have reports to present and that she had asked the Council for Research and the Honors Program and Visiting Scholars Committee to forward their annual reports for 2010-11 for the Agenda as well.

 

6. The Executive Committee considered the following matters of continuing concern:

 

a. Culture of Community:  The FSEC discussed possible venues for promotion of more interaction among faculty, staff and students.  It was suggested that they could ask the Student Senate leadership to report on the Student Senate’s activities during the current academic year.  Another suggestion was that a campus-wide inclusive research day would be a possibility.

                   

b. Task Force on Institutional Effectiveness:  Members of the FSEC discussed the Provost’s request that they help establish a new Task Force on Institutional Effectiveness.  They agreed that the term “institutional effectiveness” should be refined because it isn’t clear what aspect of the University’s effectiveness should be reviewed.  The Executive Committee decided that the formation of the task force would be more appropriate for JCAP than the FSEC.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 5:05 p.m.

                                                      

Respectfully submitted,

                                                                                       

Sheila Black Grubman

NEWS FROM FACULTY SENATE

EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14

 

Michael W. Honhart, Professor of History 2014 Recipient of the Sheila Black Grubman Faculty Outstanding Service Award

URI ACADEMIC PROGRAM REVIEW

OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)

University Libraries LibGuides

QUICK LINKS