Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #5

September 14, 2011

1.  The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 in Library Conference Room A, Chairperson Eaton presiding.  All members were present except Senator Rice.

2.  The Minutes from FSEC Meeting #4, September 1, 2011 were approved as corrected.

3.  Announcements/Correspondence: 

a.  Chairperson Eaton announced that Board of Governors meetings for the rest of the year have been scheduled as follows:                

September: Monday, September 26th at 5:30 p.m. at CCRI Warwick       

October: NO MEETING           

November: Tuesday, November 1st at 5:30 p.m. at CCRI Warwick             

December: Monday, December 5th at 5:30 p.m. at Rhode Island College

She said that she and Vice Chairperson Larsen would try to attend all of the meetings and encouraged other members to join them if possible. 

b.  Chairperson Eaton reported that she had attended a Board of Governors’ work session called by Board of Governors Chair Lorne Adrain, along with the leaders of the faculty groups of the three state institutions of higher education.  She said that the three Presidents and Academic Vice Presidents of the three institutions also attended, as did many members of the Board.  

Chairperson Eaton said that the three Presidents spoke about online and distance learning at their institutions.  This was preceded by a presentation from Dr. Clay Christensen from the Harvard Business School who spoke about what is occurring nationally, especially with regard to online instruction and adult learners.   

Chairperson Eaton noted that the presentation was to have been followed by a work session but this hadn’t happened because of time constraints.  She said that Board Chairperson Adrain had indicated he wanted to have a follow-up session.  Chairperson Eaton also mentioned that Chairperson Adrain had expressed an interest in coming to URI and that she had shared that information with Provost DeHayes. 

c.  The Executive Committee reviewed the welcome letter drafted by Chairperson Eaton and suggested a few modifications.  The Executive Committee thanked Chairperson Eaton for her draft and agreed to send it to all Senators and ex officio members of the Senate as soon as possible. 

d.  The Executive Committee discussed the invitation from the URI AAUP Executive Committee to pay for FSEC members’ registration at the national AAUP Conference on University Governance in November. Chairperson Eaton, Senator Barbour and Senator Rice indicated that they planned to attend.

  

4.  The Executive Committee reviewed a draft Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #1, September 22, 2011 and approved it in final form.  Ms. Grubman noted that since she was no longer directly responsible for the Faculty Senate website that she would provide Mr. Teixeira and Ms. Neff with the materials and would urge that they be on the web by the following Monday. 

The FSEC briefly discussed the agenda for October and agreed to ask Vice President Beagle to make his presentation at that meeting. 

5.  The Executive Committee discussed the draft syllabus website that Ms. Grubman had prepared for the CAC in response to the Provost’s and the Student Senate leaders’ request.   Ms. Grubman said that she was still in the process of soliciting sample syllabi from URI faculty to serve as possible models.  

Chairperson Eaton said that she would ask the Provost for some time at a Council of Deans’ meeting to discuss the website and the reasons for making it available to interested faculty members.  She would urge the Deans to make chairs aware of the issues and ask them for their help. 

6.  The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their September 21 meeting with President Dooley: 

a.  The Administrator Evaluation Process; 

b.  Membership of the Strategic Budget and Planning Committee; 

c.  Following up on the 2010-11 FSEC Theme: The Culture of Participation;

d.  The 2011-12 FSEC Theme: The Culture of Community.

7.  Provost DeHayes and Vice Provost Beauvais joined the Executive Committee at 4:00 p.m. bearing gifts of iPads for members of the FSEC.  After the distribution and “thank you's all around, the following matters were considered:

a.  Administrator Evaluation:  The Executive Committee and Provost DeHayes discussed the Administrator Evaluation process.  Provost DeHayes said that he felt that the process should lead to information about the areas in which an administrator was doing well and areas in which there was room for improvement.  He said he felt that because of the low response rate recent evaluations didn’t provide an adequate picture of the Deans who were evaluated.  The Provost suggested that an online survey similar to the one the President used for him would probably provide better information than the small set of letters from a self-selected constituency.  He suggested that a survey that included responses from supervisors, staff, faculty, and outside people with whom the dean interacted would provide more useful information.

b.  Innovative uses of technology:  Provost DeHayes asked members of the FSEC if they had seen the new RFP from his office for innovative technology to support students’ experience at URI.  He said that it was the first time he solicited proposals of this kind and asked members of the FSEC to encourage their colleagues to submit proposals.  He shared copies of the call for proposals with the FSEC and said that it was available on the Provost’s website at http://www.uri.edu/provost/

c.  Task Force on Institutional Effectiveness:  Provost DeHayes reminded the FSEC that he had wanted to establish a Task Force on Institutional Effectiveness when he established the other Task Forces.  The original Task Force was called Process Streamlining,  but the Task Force hadn’t been able to achieve its goals and was disbanded.   He wishes to establish another task force with more input from faculty and staff members in Academic Affairs as well as representation from across the university.

d.  Follow-up on retreat at Alton Jones:  Provost DeHayes distributed a summary from the August 17 retreat with the Council of Deans and encouraged the Executive Committee to review them.

e.  Academic Program Review Committee:  Provost DeHayes and the Executive Committee discussed their shared concern that the Chair of the APRC had resigned and there hadn’t been a replacement.  It was agreed that while the Faculty Senate searches for a new chair, Vice Provost Beauvais and Senator Barbour would continue keeping the committee moving forward.  

f.  Culture of Community:  The FSEC explained to the Provost that this year’s theme was an extension of the 2010-11 Executive Committee’s theme: Culture of Participation.   Provost DeHayes agreed that members of the University Community need more opportunities to find out about each other’s research and scholarship and encouraged the use of forums to bring people together.  He emphasized that community should include all faculty, regardless of rank, staff and students.

Culture of Community:  The FSEC explained to the Provost that this year’s theme was an extension of the 2010-11 Executive Committee’s theme: Culture of Participation.   Provost DeHayes agreed that members of the University Community need more opportunities to find out about each other’s research and scholarship and encouraged the use of forums to bring people together.  He emphasized that community should include all faculty, regardless of rank, staff and students. 

The meeting was adjourned at 5:03 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman