1. The regular meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, April 1, 2013 a.m. in the Dorothy Vocino Conference Room in the URI Library, Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present except Senators Barbour and Davis.
2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #29, March 18, 2013, were approved as distributed.
a. Chairperson Larsen reported that he had attended two of the Wabash Program sessions. He said that the same faculty members seemed to be interested in programs like this, which meant that there were very few new faces. He said that there had been a question about the faculty satisfaction survey, but no data were reported.
b. Chairperson Larsen reminded the FSEC that the IDEA workshops were scheduled for Thursday, April 4, 2013.
c. Chairperson Larsen urged members of the Executive Committee to take the LibQual survey.
d. The FSEC discussed a memorandum from the Student Senate endorsing the Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Advising. Chairperson Peters said that he had written back noting that the Executive Committee had recommended action on the report and that By-Laws changes would come up for a final vote on April 18. In addition, he had encouraged the Student Senate to appoint two members of the proposed committee.
e. The Executive Committee reviewed the revised By-Laws change on the membership of the Committee based on amendments and discussion on March 21 and agreed that Ms. Grubman should send the revised By-Laws section to the e-mail lists.
f. Ms. Grubman announced that she had been informed that the Intellectual Property Policy approved by the Faculty Senate in the spring of 2012 has been forwarded to the Board of Education.
g. Chairperson Larsen announced that the Faculty Senate Coordinator Candidate Interviews had been scheduled as follows:
1) Today, after the FSEC Meeting and through lunch: Nancy Neff
2) April 3: Tracy Miller 11:00 a.m. through lunch University Club
3) April 8: Robert Luke 12-1:00 p.m. through lunch University Club
4. The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their April 8 meeting with Provost DeHayes:
a. Discussion of Faculty Outstanding Service Award Nominees
b. Administrator Evaluation update
c. Summer issue: Stipends for faculty for work on committees during the summer
d. Focused Program Review
e. Governance structure for Graduate Council and Honorary Degrees Committee
5. The Executive Committee discussed the following items of continuing business:
a. The FSEC reviewed the most recent iteration of the proposed University Manual Language on Focused Program Review and agreed on a final draft to be forwarded to Provost DeHayes for discussion at their next meeting with him.
b. Chairperson Larsen and Vice Chairperson Byrd reported that they were scheduled to meet with Deans Zawia and Killingbeck to discuss concerns about bringing the graduate council under the committee structure of the Faculty Senate.
c. Ms. Grubman reported that she had spoken to Professor Ordoñez and had been informed that the Council for Research was planning to discuss the FSEC's By-Laws recommendations later that week and would get back to the FSEC shortly thereafter.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 a.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)