Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #3

August 15, 2012

1. The meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m. on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 in the President's Conference Room in Green Hall, Chairperson Larsen presiding.  All members were present.

2. Consideration of the Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #2, July 16, 2012 was postponed because not everyone had been able to review them in time.

Ms. Grubman reported that all of the outstanding Executive Committee Meeting Minutes from 2011-12 (#26m, #28m, and #32m) had been reviewed by Provost DeHayes and were available on the web at

3. Announcements/Correspondence:

a. Chairperson Larsen provided the new members of the FSEC with background on the open access issue and suggested that an ad hoc committee be established to develop strategies for URI for presentation to the Faculty Senate. He said that members of the University Library Committee and Library faculty who were knowledgeable in this area should be on the committee but not serve as chair.

The Executive Committee agreed to the recommendation. Chairperson Larsen said that he would ask Vice Provost Beauvais to serve on the committee and requested suggestions of possible faculty members from natural and social sciences and the arts and humanities to serve on the ad hoc committee, one of whom could be asked to chair.

b. The Executive Committee discussed the Agenda for the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education meeting on August 20. It was noted that a recommendation from URI to change the Overhead Policy and Regulation on Overhead Cost Recovery was on the Board's Agenda. The Faculty Senate had not been notified about the proposed change and there were no details about the proposal included in the recommendation. The FSEC agreed that the Faculty Senate had authority, along with the President, on Research Policy under Article III of the Faculty Senate Constitution.

The Executive Committee directed Chairperson Larsen to write to President Dooley, with copies to Provost DeHayes, Vice President Alfonso and Vice President Weygand, raising concerns that the Faculty Senate had not been informed about the proposal and that details had not been negotiated with faculty, deans and other interested members of the community before the proposal was placed on the Agenda. It was agreed to request that the matter be postponed pending more information and discussion.

c. The Executive Committee discussed an invitation from the AAUP that Faculty Senate Officers attend the AAUP Governance Conference in Washington D.C. on October 26-28. It was noted that the AAUP had generously paid for last year's FSEC to attend the conference and that Chairperson Larsen would contact AAUP President Kirschenbaum to find out details for the this year.

4. Committees.

a. The Executive Committee reviewed their list of committee vacancies and continued their discussion of committee appointments for the 2012-13 academic year.

b. Ms. Grubman reported that the Competitive Grants Advisory Committee (CGAC) was not expected to be active during the 2012-13 academic year because the URI Foundation had suspended its Competitive Grants and Faculty Assistance Fund programs.

Chairperson Larsen agreed to discuss this matter with the Provost and to find out what might be done to get the URI Foundation to resume these programs.

c. It was noted that the Ad Hoc Committee on Advising had not reported during the summer as expected. The FSEC asked Ms. Grubman to contact Dean Richmond and Professor Honhart about the committee's progress and recommendations.

5. The Executive Committee began a discussion of their goals for the 2012-13 academic year and agreed that the status of the Board of Governors was a key issue for the Senate. They agreed that it would be useful for the Senate to receive a report and updates on the status of outstanding issues before the Board and plans for replacing the existing Board with a combined Board of Education (K-Higher Education).

6. Senator Nassersharif raised the status of administrator Evaluation for the coming year. It was noted that the ad hoc committee on administrator Evaluation (see had not recommended modifications to the UNIVERSITY MANUAL but did propose a small ad hoc committee to work with the Administrator Evaluation Coordinator to revise the process to include an online questionnaire while maintaining confidentiality. It was also agreed that the administrator be asked to provide a summary of achievements and goals to which the constituency could respond, rather than letters which did not seem to generate much response.

Discussion ensued with regard to the definition of confidentiality as described in the UNIVERSITY MANUAL and anonymity, which the administration opposed. Chairperson Larsen and Vice Chairperson Byrd agreed to consult with the President about the make-up of the evaluation committees in order to satisfy concerns that the neutrality of the current structure was in question.

Discussion ensued as to which administrator should be evaluated during the upcoming academic year. The consensus of the FSEC was that the Provost should be evaluated, even if it was late for his initial review. and that a new timetable be developed for other administrators evaluated in accordance with the UNIVERSITY MANUAL.

7. Ms. Grubman reminded the Executive Committee that their next meeting was scheduled for August 23 in the President's Conference Room, but after that meeting, FSEC meetings will be held in one of the Library Conference rooms beginning on September 5.

The meeting was adjourned at 12:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman




Sheila Black Grubman

Faculty Outstanding Award

2015 Notice and Criteria



University Libraries LibGuides