1. The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, August 23, 2012 in the President's Conference Room in Green Hall, Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present. Senator Davis participated by telephone (thanks to Senator Nassersharif).
2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meetings #2, July 16, 2012 and #3, August 15, 2012 were approved as corrected.
a. Chairperson Larsen announced that the FSEC had been invited to meet with Provost on Monday Aug 27 at 11 a.m. It was noted that they had not been apprised of the reason for the meeting.
b. The Executive Committee discussed the August 17 meeting with President Dooley and the August 20 meeting with Provost DeHayes, which had been scheduled in response to Chairperson Larsen's letter raising concerns about the overhead proposal on the RIBGHE Agenda for August 20.
It was noted that the President apologized for not informing the Faculty Senate in advance. The consensus at both meetings had been that the Administration provide a rationale for their actions and propose an internal process that included the Council for Research and the Faculty Senate. The agreed-upon process will include a review process that would give the faculty a greater say in the overhead issue and would provide transparency to the allocation process.
Chairperson Larsen said that Provost DeHayes had agreed to draft a proposal for consideration by the Council for Research for both the short-term and a long-term process. The long-term process would be included in the UNIVERSITY MANUAL. He said that the Council for Research was scheduled to meet on September 5. Hopefully, the Council will have a recommendation for the September 20 faculty senate meeting. He encouraged members of the Executive Committee to attend the September 5 Council for Research meeting.
The Executive Committee discussed e-mail correspondence from Professor Prochaska, which raised a number of questions for the development of long-term process. In his memorandum, Professor Prochaska had suggested that percentages of the overhead should be distributed to PIs and Research Centers. Senator Nassersharif agreed to draft a proposal that might include PIs and Research Centers.
The Executive Committee agreed that the faculty should know the current and or the proposed percentages and agreed to raise this issue with the Provost on August 27 if time permits.
c. Senator Rice reported on the Rhode Island Board of Governors meeting on August 20. He said that Professor Prochaska had addressed the Board about the overhead policy, which may have resulted in questions from Board members to the URI administration.
He said that the proposal would be on the September 24 Agenda for the RIBGHE.
d. Ms. Grubman noted that members of the FSEC had received a memorandum from the Office of the Provost regarding the tenure and promotion workshop and the new electronic process. The FSEC agreed that tenure and promotion were the prerogative of the URI AAUP.
e. Chairperson Larsen reported that he had met earlier in the week with Vice President Alfonso. He said that the Vice President had suggested that the Director of Compliance be added to the ad hoc committee.
Chairperson Larsen thanked the FSEC for their suggestions of possible faculty members for the ad hoc committee on open access. Ms. Grubman agreed to add the membership of the ad hoc committee to the list of committees on the Agenda for the first Faculty Senate Meeting.
f. Chairperson Larsen reported that he and Vice Chairperson Byrd had the opportunity to meet with President Dooley earlier that week. He said that in addition to the overhead policy, they had also discussed upcoming changes in governance in light of the new legislation eliminating the current Board of Regents and Board of Governors and establishing a single Board of Education.
g. Chairperson Larsen said that he planned to address the new faculty briefly at the new faculty orientation, using the pamphlet on the Faculty Senate the FSEC developed this summer. He said that he hoped to introduce the Executive Committee’s theme for the 2012-13 academic year at that time.
4. The Executive Committee considered a theme for the upcoming academic year and agreed to expand the idea of culture of community to include communication within the university community.
They discussed Chairperson Larsen's welcome letter to the faculty and the themes he would emphasize. With regard to communication, he said that he intended to encourage Faculty Senators and Deans to communicate regularly about matters before the Faculty Senate as a way of keeping the community apprised of what is happening. They agreed it is especially important to keep communications open in light of potential changes to the University's governance structure resulting from the legislation eliminating the RIBGHE and creating a new Board of Education.
5. Ms. Grubman reported that a very preliminary Draft Agenda for the September 20 Faculty Senate meeting was on the FSEC's Sakai site. She encouraged the members of the FSEC to review the draft and make suggestions.
She also noted that she had found an old administrator evaluation schedule which she had posted on the Sakai site as well. She agreed to ask Ms. Williams for the official start dates for newer administrators who had not been included on the list.
With regard to Administrator Evaluation, the FSEC agreed to consider whether the process should be extended to include other administrators.
6. The Executive Committee reviewed their list of committee vacancies and continued their discussion of committee appointments for the 2012-13 academic year.
7. Ms. Grubman reminded the Executive Committee that their next meeting was scheduled for September 5 Library Conference Room A and that subsequent FSEC meetings would be held in Library Conference Room B (the Dorothy M. Vocino Conference Room).
The meeting was adjourned at 12:30 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)