1. The meeting was called to order at 10:08 a.m. on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 in the Dorothy Vocino Conference Room in the URI Library, Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present except Senators Barbour and Rice.
2. The Executive Committee agreed to postpone consideration of the Minutes from FSEC Meeting #19, December 5, 2012, until a subsequent meeting.
3. The Executive Committee reviewed the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #4, December 13, 2012 in preparation for their meeting the following day.
a. Chairperson Larsen reported that he had attended the last meeting of the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education on December 10, along with Vice Chairperson Byrd and Senator Rice. He said that most of the recommended items were approved, noting that the only matters that concerned URI were financial and legal matters such as lease agreements, memorandums of understanding, bond funds, etc.
He said that there were farewell remarks from members of the Board. He noted that no public notice has been forthcoming about whether members of the RIBGHE would serve on the new Board of Education.
b. Chairperson Larsen reported that President Dooley has requested two faculty nominees for the Search Committee for the Vice President for Administration and the Vice President for Research and Economic Development. Chairperson Larsen said that the President would appreciate a list of possible additional faculty members if the FSEC develops a list.
It was agreed that the FSEC members would discuss possible faculty members in January. They asked Ms. Grubman to find out if Ms. McCarthy In the Research Office had a list of faculty members who are active in research at URI.
c. The Executive Committee discussed the report from the Ad Hoc Committee on Open Access that had been forwarded to them by Professor Rathemacher. It was agreed that many aspects of open access were controversial and the issues should be aired by the Faculty Senate to give the faculty an opportunity to discuss them.
d. Ms. Grubman reported that Faculty Senate legislation dating back to the 1960's was accessible through the URI Digital Commons. See http://digitalcommons.uri.edu/.
She said that the old legislation had been part of the Faculty Senate files and she had discussed their transfer with Professor Lovett earlier this year. She said that in time she hoped that early Faculty Senate Agenda and Minutes would also be incorporated into the Digital Commons.
5. The Executive Committee agreed that they would not meet on December 19 unless a meeting with Provost DeHayes could be scheduled for that time.
6. The Executive Committee discussed the following matters of continuing concern:
a. Administrator Evaluation: Senator Nassersharif reported on his meeting with Provost DeHayes and Vice Provost McCray on the Administrator Evaluation process. Chairperson Larsen and Ms. Grubman had attended the meeting as well.
b. J-Term: Chairperson Larsen agreed to draft University Manual Language, probably in the section on the Academic Calendar that would broadly define what is meant by J-Term. He said that he would share his draft with the Executive Committee for discussion in the spring.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:55 a.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
CURRICULAR MEMORANDUM 2012-2013 Revised curricular procedures