1. The meeting was called to order on Monday, February 11 at 10:00 a.m. in the Dorothy M. Vocino Conference Room in the Library (Conference Room B), Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present except Senator Davis and Senator Nassersharif. Senator Barbour participated by telephone.
2. It was agreed to approve the Minutes from FSEC #23 at the next FSEC meeting.
3. A draft Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #6, February 21, 2013 and related materials were discussed.
4. Meeting with Professor Wenisch and Deans Zawia and Killingbeck on Graduate Faculty Status in Manual from 10:15 to 11:00 a.m.
Professor Wenisch, Chair of Constitution By-Laws and University Manual (CBUM) Committee and Deans Zawia and Killingbeck from the Graduate School met with the FSEC to discuss updating of the section of the Manual on the granting of graduate faculty status and the process by which graduate faculty status would be reviewed over the course of faculty tenure at the university. The Executive Committee urged that the word "generally" be added to the first section to indicate that appropriate exceptions are possible. The goal of the suggested changes is to increase the clarity of both the selection process and periodic status review.
a. The meeting on J-Term on Thursday, February 14 from 1-3 in President's Conference Room in Green Hall.
b. The meeting with Administrative and Management Committee consultants will be either on February 18 or February 19.
6. Continuing Business:
a. Administrator Evaluation: Bahram Nassersharif will update the FSEC at the next meeting.
b. Recommendations on Advising: The FSEC met with Dean Richmond and Professor Honhart from 11:30 to 12:00 noon. They reviewed committee recommendations and suggested that the committee's draft legislation for an ongoing advisory committee to the Faculty Senate be brought forward to the Faculty Senate for a vote. The committee goal would be to continually improve advising, including training and assessment. Additional recommendations from the committee were discussed within the following categories:
- Additional recommendations that the committee develop legislation
- Best practices for the University (many of these have a financial component)
- Advice to Colleges/Departments
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)