1. The regular meeting was called to order at 10:06 a.m. on Monday, March 4, 2013 a.m. in the Dorothy Vocino Conference Room in the URI Library, Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present.
Members of the Executive Committee wished Senator Rice a happy birthday.
2. Consideration of the Minutes from Meeting #26, February 25, 2013 was postponed because not everyone had an opportunity to read them in advance.
a. Members of the FSEC were reminded that the Council of Deans Budget Presentations were scheduled for later that week on Wednesday, March 6, 2013.
b. Some members of the FSEC reported that they had recently received information about an upcoming Graduate Research and Innovation Showcase. Senator Barbour reported that she had contacted Ms. McCarthy in the Division of Research and Economic Development and learned that that Vice President Alfonso had substituted the showcase, which will feature graduate students who have received awards for their research, for the Discovery@URI program.
It was agreed to continue to pursue the development of more inclusive community-wide program such as Discovery@URI for the 2013-14 academic year.
4. Provost DeHayes and Vice Provost Beauvais joined the meeting at 10:15 a.m. The following matters were considered:
a. The establishment of the four Administrator Evaluation Committees and the selection of the members for each committee were discussed. The Executive Committee explained that they selected faculty members from the list of nominees from each constituency group and attempted to balance the group by areas within the respective Colleges. Senator Nassersharif reported that he had heard from all of the administrators scheduled for evaluation and was waiting for the Provost's appointees before moving forward. Provost DeHayes indicated that he would try to provide balance with his committee appointments and said he would review the membership of each of the committees and select his appointees as soon as possible.
b. The FSEC discussed the consultant's report with the Provost and Vice Provost Beauvais. Vice Provost Beauvais provided the committee with a draft of the Administration and Management Review Committee's response to the report. It was agreed to delay distribution of documents until the AMRC made both documents public.
There was general discussion about the consultant's suggestions and how the AMRC planned to follow-up on them.
c. Provost DeHayes left the meeting at 11:00 a.m. and Vice Provost Beauvais remained until 11:45 to discuss the Executive Committee's draft proposal for Manual language to outline a process for conducting focused reviews of programs outside the established Academic Program Review process.
5. Members of the FSEC reviewed for Chairperson Larsen and Ms. Grubman their meeting with President Dooley on February 28 (see Minutes of FSEC Meeting #27).
6. The Executive Committee discussed a draft schedule of Faculty Senate meetings during 2013-14. They decided to meet on the third Thursday of each month except for December and May, which would be scheduled for the second Thursday of the month.
7. The Executive Committee reviewed the list of committees in Chapter 5 of the University Manual and noted that there were two committees not considered Presidential or Joint Faculty Senate and Administration Committees. These two committees, the Honorary Degrees Committee and the Graduate Council are responsible to the general faculty and graduate faculty respectively.
The FSEC considered whether the Graduate Council might become a standing committee of the Faculty Senate and whether the Honorary Degrees committee might be more appropriate as a joint committee of the Administration and the Faculty Senate.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:58 a.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)