1. The meeting was called to order at 10:04 a.m. on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 in the Dorothy Vocino Conference Room in the URI Library, Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present.
2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #16, November 21, 2012 were approved as revised.
a. Ms. Grubman reported that Professor Ordoñez, Chair of the Council for Research, would join the meeting later that morning to discuss the Council's suggestions on the FSEC's proposed sections 10.70.10-13 of the University Manual on the allocation of F&A (overhead) funds.
b. Chairperson Larsen reminded the FSEC that they were invited to join the AAUP for lunch on November 30 at 12:30, which would be followed by a joint meeting from 1:15 to 3:00 p.m.
c. Chairperson Larsen announced that President Dooley was hosting a dinner for academic leaders on December 8 and that neither he nor Vice Chairperson Byrd would be able to attend. Senator Rice agreed to represent the FSEC at the dinner.
d. Senator Davis reported on her continuing efforts to have research in the arts and humanities that do not provide overhead funds to be counted in reports on research. She explained that she had been asked by the Council for Research to draft a letter asking academic department chairs for information on grants received from faculty members that fit into this group.
She said she would share her draft letter with the Executive Committee.
4. Professor Margaret Ordoñez, Chair of the Council for Research joined the Executive Committee for a discussion of suggestions from members of the Council for Research for changes to FSEC's proposed sections 10.70.10-13 of the University Manual on the allocation of F&A (overhead) funds.
Chairperson Larsen asked Professor Ordoñez to discuss with the council possible changes to its structure and operations, including the timing of the election (or appointment) of a chair, and the chair's term.
5. Senator Nassersharif reported on progress toward the Administrator Evaluations for Deans Higgins, Kirby and Maslyn as well as Vice Provost McCray. He explained that he had forwarded to each of the administrators copies of the pilot legislation, appropriate sections of the University Manual. He also noted that meetings with the Provost and the Deans and Vice Provost had been scheduled for early December.
Chairperson Larsen thanked Senator Nassersharif for taking the lead in the pilot administrator evaluation process.
6. Chairperson Larsen reminded the members of the FSEC that they were scheduled to meet on the following afternoon, November 29 with Provost DeHayes. Senators Barbour and Rice explained that they would not be able to attend the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:05 P.M.
Sheila Black Grubman
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)