1. The meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m. on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 in the Dorothy Vocino Conference Room in the URI Library, Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present.
2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #8, September 26, 2012 were approved pending review by President Dooley of those sections that pertained to him.
3. Reports and Correspondence
a. Senator Nassersharif reported on the October 4 meeting with Provost DeHayes about Administrator Evaluation Meeting with Provost DeHayes on Administrator Evaluation. He said that in addition to himself and Provost DeHayes, Chairperson Larsen, Vice Chairperson Byrd, and Ms. Grubman were also in attendance. He summarized the Provost's comments and suggestions. He noted that the Provost wanted the dean's/vice provost's evaluations to coincide with the third year of their contracts and to be part of a 360-degree evaluation. Provost DeHayes had also requested a uniform questionnaire similar to the one President Dooley had used for the Provost's evaluation.
The Executive Committee discussed a draft report to the Senate recommending the suspension of the published Administrator Evaluation process for a two-year pilot project. After discussion, the draft report on the administrator evaluation process was accepted in final form to be placed on the October 18 Faculty Senate Meeting Agenda.
b. Chairperson Larsen and Vice Chairperson Byrd reported on their meeting with the Provost on October 9. They said that they had discussed Ms. Grubman's upcoming retirement on June 30 and an effort to make the transition as smooth as possible. They had also discussed the delay in the transfer of Ms. Neff's position in the Provost's Office to the Faculty Senate Office. They said a meeting with Vice Provost Katz and Ms. Kenerson was planned.
In addition, the said that Provost DeHayes had urged that the Faculty Senate consider the Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Advising in a timely manner. He had been reassured that the FSEC would place the report on the October Senate Agenda with recommendations for a review and discussion process to include a Forum on November 15.
4. The Executive Committee discussed a draft Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #2, October 18, 2012 and approved it in final form. The Agenda would include two reports from the Executive Committee on administrator evaluation and the membership of JCAP as well as an FSEC recommendation for consideration of the Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Advising. Reports from the Curricular Affairs Committee and The UCGE Committee would be included in addition to the Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Advising.
With regard to future Agenda, the FSEC considered inviting Ms. Thompson, the new Associate Vice President for Community, Equity and Diversity to report to the Senate early in the spring semester. They also asked Ms. Grubman to find out whether Mr. Michael Smith, Executive Director of the URI Foundation might be willing to give an update on the activities of the Foundation.
5. The Executive Committee discussed how to follow-up on the Facilities and Administration (Overhead) Funds proposal and agreed that they should draft with new and revised sections of the University Manual to ensure that the process is unambiguous.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:05 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman