1. The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 in the Dorothy Vocino Conference Room in the URI Library, Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present.
2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meetings #9, October 3, 2012 and #10, October 10, 2012 were approved.
a. Chairperson Larsen announced that a program on the Digital Commons was scheduled for 2:00 p.m. in the Galanti Lounge and suggested members of the FSEC might be interested in attending. Ms. Grubman said that if at all possible, she planned to attend because she wanted to discuss digitizing Faculty Senate legislation dating back to 1960.
b. Chairperson Larsen announced that the lunch meeting with the AAUP Executive Committee was scheduled or Friday, November 30 at 1:15 p.m.
c. Chairperson Larsen reported that the 12:00 noon meetings with the President and the Provost had been cancelled because the time was no longer convenient for everyone. He said that two meetings had been scheduled as follows:
- President Dooley for Thursday, November 8 at 3:00 p.m. in the President's Conference Room, Green Hall.
- Provost DeHayes for Thursday, November 29 at 3:30 p.m. in the President's Conference Room, Green Hall.
d. The Executive Committee discussed the recent notice that Vice President Alfonso leaving at the end of his term. The Executive Committee agreed that when they next meet with President Dooley, Chairperson Larsen and Vice President Byrd ask about plans for a search and w hat the FSEC might do to help.
e. Chairperson Larsen and Vice Chairperson Byrd reported that they had met with Vice Provost Katz and Ms. Kenerson about the Faculty Senate Office. They said that a compromise position was reached with regard to the Specialist position but that Ms. Neff had not agreed to accept the position.
Chairperson Larsen said that in order to move forward with a search for the Position of Coordinator, they had requested that Ms. Grubman write to the Chair of her intention to retire at the end of the 2012-13 academic year (June 30, 2012) after 40 years at URI. He noted that she had done so the previous afternoon.
They reported that Vice Provost Katz and Ms. Kenerson had accepted the proposed position description for the Coordinator, Faculty Senate pending suggestions by Ms. Kenerson about some of the details.
After discussion the Executive Committee requested that Chairperson Larsen ask Ms. Kenerson to make some changes to the description and qualifications based on the FSEC's meeting that morning.
4. The FSEC reviewed the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #2, October 18, 2012 in preparation for the meeting the following day. They discussed the unwillingness of a number of Senators to run for the vacant position on the FSEC and agreed that most faculty members at URI were so overwhelmed with responsibilities they were loath to take on another one. In addition, they agreed that an overworked faculty in conjunction with the lack of support for university service by deans and department chairs exacerbated the problem. They decided that the situation would only become worse unless Provost DeHayes demonstrated that faculty service was necessary for the health of the university and by his actions supported the service role of faculty.
5. The Executive Committee discussed the need for faculty members on some major committees to participate to some extent during the summer. They noted that the Council for Research's inability to function before the first week of the semester delayed consideration of the overhead distribution process and had to be rectified before the next round of overhead distribution reviews.
Ms. Grubman noted that the members of the Curricular Affairs Committee had agreed to consider temporary courses by e-mail over the summer and that the Provost has provided support for members of the UCGE Committee to work over the summer to develop a new general education program.
It was agreed that summer participation by members of major committees might be a topic for discussion at a Faculty Senate Forum.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:08 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
CURRICULAR MEMORANDUM 2012-2013 Revised curricular procedures