Skip to main content
Scenes from Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Meeting

Minutes #9

October 3, 2012

1. The meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, October 3, 2012 in the Dorothy Vocino Conference Room in the URI Library, Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present except Senator Nassersharif. Vice Chairperson Byrd arrived at 10:40 a.m. after the funeral for Professor Emeritus Pakula.

2. Announcements/Correspondence/Reports:

a. Ms. Grubman announced that Professor Emeritus Vincent Rose had agreed to continue as University Ombud until a replacement is appointed.

b. The Executive Committee discussed their meeting with President Dooley on September 26. See Minutes from FSEC Meeting #8 for details.

c. Chairperson Larsen and Vice Chairperson Byrd reported on their meeting with Provost DeHayes the previous week. They said they discussed concerns about improving communication with lecturers, clinical and research faculty members and giving them an opportunity to participate discussions of matters that affect them. They said it wasn't necessarily membership on the Senate, but might include a better system of e-mailing messages, encouraging them to serve on committees, or perhaps giving them an organized group identity and possibly asking the group for their input on matters that affect them. They noted that they had discussed the possibility of videotaping presentations.

d. Chairperson Larsen said that in addition to discussing videotaping with Provost DeHayes, he had contacted the three other Vice Presidents. He reported that Vice President Dougan had agreed to have his presentations taped but he hadn't heard from Vice Presidents Alfonso and Weygand.

e. Chairperson Larsen reported that he had attended a meeting on the classroom disruption issues raised in the spring by Provost DeHayes. He noted that he had forwarded some of their materials to the members of the FSEC. The Executive Committee decided to ask the Teaching Effectiveness Committee to review the materials. They agreed that it would be helpful to have more data on whether classroom disruption is a widespread problem.

f. Senator Rice reported on his efforts to get the Faculty Outstanding Service Award recipient included with celebrations for other award recipients. He said that the large plaque was in the University Club and he expected it to be displayed shortly. He noted that he had met with Ms. Diana Blanda, the new Director of Public Programming and Events, and given her background on the FSEC's efforts to establish the award through the URI Foundation. Senator Rice noted that Ms. Blanda had agreed to get back to him after the distinguished alumni awards event was completed.

g. The Executive Committee discussed the upcoming transition in the Faculty Senate Office when Ms. Grubman retires on June 30, 2013 after 40 years at URI. They reviewed Ms. Grubman's position description as updated this fall and agreed that it would be best if there were a transition period for a new coordinator before Ms. Grubman retires.

Also discussed was the delay in transferring Ms. Neff from the Office of the Provost to the Faculty Senate Office full-time. It was noted that Ms. Neff had joined the Faculty Senate Office a year and a half ago to provide staff support to the Faculty Senate Chair and Coordinator. Since that time, she served as staff for the Joint Committee on Academic Planning (JCAP). In addition she had assumed many of the Faculty Senate Office's curricular responsibilities during the transition to an interactive online catalog, but had not had the opportunity to learn other aspects of Ms. Grubman's position.

The Executive Committee directed Chairperson Larsen and Vice Chairperson Byrd to bring the Coordinator's position description to Provost DeHayes at their next meeting with him and to discuss moving forward in order to begin the search as soon as possible.


3. The Executive committee reviewed their list of upcoming meetings:


a. With regard to a lunch meeting with the AAUP Executive Committee, they suggested some possible times that most of the FSEC members would be able to attend and asked Ms. Grubman to contact the AAUP to find if any of the times were possible.

b. The Executive Committee discussed the Agenda for the October 18 Faculty Senate Meeting. Ms. Grubman reported that the only report the Faculty Senate Office had received as of that date was the 499th Report of the CAC. She said that she hoped to have a report from the UCGE Committee after the following afternoon's meeting.

c. The Executive Committee discussed ways of holding meetings more expeditiously, but it was agreed that two hours twice a week appeared to be the bare minimum. They agreed to cancel the remaining meetings with the President and Provost because very few FSEC members were able to attend meetings from 12-1 on Wednesdays. It was suggested that non-Senate Thursdays might be an option.

4. The Executive Committee was brought up to date on committees:

a. Ms. Grubman reported that Ms. Morrissey had asked for a greater faculty presence on the Joint Classroom Steering Committee. Ms. Grubman noted that the membership in 5.85.10 of the UNIVERSITY MANUAL provided for at least three faculty members. This would permit the FSEC to appoint additional faculty members. Chairperson Larsen said that he would ask if any Senators were interested in serving on the JCSC when he made his announcements on October 18.

b. Chairperson Larsen announced that Professors Corey Lang and Louis Kirschenbaum had both agreed to serve on the ad hoc Committee on Open Access. He said that given the amount of time it was taking to form the committee, they might be able to report in February rather than January.

c. The Executive Committee discussed the recommendations in the Report of the Ad Hoc Committee and agreed that several interested groups should be asked to react to the recommendations and possibly propose how some of them hey might be implemented.

d. Ms. Grubman was asked to contact the chairs of the Honors Program and Visiting Scholars Committee and the Teaching Effectiveness Committee to find out when they would be able to present their reports from the 2011-12 academic year.

The meeting was adjourned at 12:05 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sheila Black Grubman