1. The meeting was called to order at 10:04 a.m. on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 in the Dorothy Vocino Conference Room in the URI Library, Chairperson Larsen presiding. All members were present except Senator Davis.
2. The Minutes of Executive Committee Meeting #6, September 12, 2012 were approved.
3. The Executive Committee discussed the Agenda for Faculty Senate Meeting #1, September 20, 2012, in preparation for the meeting on the following day.
The Executive Committee considered a draft recommendation supporting the Council for Research's recommendation and proposing a process for future Finance and Administration fund transfers. It was agreed that the Executive Committee's proposal should be distributed as soon as possible by e-mail as well as including it on the web.
4. The Executive Committee considered the following items of business which had been carried as unfinished business since the beginning of the year:
a. Providence Undergraduate Initiatives Committee: It was agreed to ask Associate Dean Quina to draft a proposal for reviving the PCUIC and to invite her to meet with the FSEC to discuss the proposal.
b. Outstanding Service Award: Senator Rice agreed to discuss with Ms. Esposito in Public Programming and Events the possibility of having the Faculty Outstanding Service Award included in the faculty excellence process, the reception for excellence awards recipients and recognition at commencement.
c. Taping presentations at Senate meetings: The Executive Committee considered the recommendation of the previous Executive Committee that presentations by the Vice Presidents might be a possibility in order to better inform the campus. Following discussion, it was agreed to raise this possibility with President Dooley.
a. Research Foundation Letter to the President: Chairperson Larsen reported that he had delivered the FSEC's letter about changing the functioning of the URI Research Foundation in a manner similar to the URI Foundation. Chairperson Larsen said that the President had raised his concerns about proceeding with the suggestion. The Executive Committee decided that the matter deserved full consideration and agreed to find out what part of its original functions the URI Research Foundation does perform and to include the topic on the agenda for September their September 26 meeting with President Dooley.
b. The Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Advising: The FSEC discussed the report, which had been forwarded to them earlier in September by Dean Richmond. It was agreed that they should discuss the appropriate process for receiving and responding to the recommendations with Provost DeHayes, Dean Richmond and former Senator Honhart. They decided to plan for a presentation the October 18 Faculty Senate Meeting of the FSEC's recommendations for receiving the report and a process for reviewing recommendations by various groups affected by the recommendations.
c. Non tenure-track faculty: Chairperson Larsen said that he had become aware that non tenure-track faculty members are "out of the loop" when it relates to communications since discussions about the proposed overhead policy. He asked the FSEC to think about possible ways to improve communications.
It was suggested that the FSEC ask Vice Provost Katz for data on Appendix F and Appendix H faculty in order to get a better understanding of who they are, what functions they are serving at URI and how to improve communication.
6. The Executive Committee agreed to the following topics for their Planning for September 26, 2012 meeting with President Dooley:
a. Possibilities for strengthening research support through the URI Research Foundation.
b. Plans for the change in governance from the Board of Governors for Higher Education to a Board of Education.
c. The prospect of taping reports and to the Faculty Senate and keeping the videos on the Faculty Senate Website.
The meeting was recessed at 11:45 a.m. to be continued at 12:00 noon in Green Hall.
The meeting was reconvened at 12:00 noon in the President's Conference Room with Provost DeHayes and Vice Provost Beauvais in attendance.
7. The FSEC proposal for a process for the distribution of Administration and Facilities funds (Overhead) was discussed, as were the appropriate recommendations and the order of speakers after Vice Chairperson Byrd's motion to endorse the Council for Research recommendation on overhead and the Executive Committee's recommendation for procedures for future allocation was put on the floor.
It was agreed that the motion would open up discussion of the Administration's reasons for and rationale for their original proposal to the Board of Governors, as well as the Council for Research's recommendation and the FSEC's process proposal.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:45 p.m.
Sheila Black Grubman
URI ACADEMIC PROGRAM REVIEW (5/24/13)
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)