Skip to main content
Scenes from the College of Arts and Sciences


Obtaining a Social Security Number (SSN)

A social security card allows you to receive wages from your employer. The Social Security Administration will only issue Social Security Cards to F-1/J-1 students that have a job offer. To apply for and receive a social security card you must bring the following original documents to the Social Security Administration:

  • Certificate of eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019)

  • Valid Passport

  • I-94 Card

  • Completed Social Security Application click here

  • Letter from the Office of International Students & Scholars verifying your current immigration status

  • Proof/promise of employment (letter from employer, CPT authorization or original EAD card)