Skip to main content
Scenes from the College of Arts and Sciences

Q & A

Most Frequently Asked Questions And Answers

  1. Q. What do I do to get a state driverŐs license?
    A. Take your passport, visa documents and a letter from the OISS to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You can request a letter for the DMV at the OISS office front desk, Monday-Friday, 9 am. to 3:30 pm. You must be a student in good standing who is full-time enrolled to obtain a letter. For additional information about driving, please refer to our DMV page.
  2. Q. How do I apply for a social security number? Does everyone need one?
    A. You can pick up an application for a social security number at the OISS. You must complete it and present it at the social security office, along with your passport and visa documents. While it is best for everyone to apply for a social security number, only people who may work in the U.S. (F-1, J-1, H-1B, J-2 with work permission) may obtain a number. Numbers are not issued to B-2 or B-1 visa holders. Please refer to our social security page for information about how to obtain social security cards.
  3. Q. Can an international student work in the U.S.?
    A. An international student using an F-1 or a J-1 visa can work but there are many restrictions. Eligibility to work is based on full-time student status. Working on campus is possible for a full-time student for 20 hours per week in the academic year, and 40 hours per week during school breaks. For any work that is not paid by UNR, it is best to consult with an international student advisor at OISS regarding the limited options available. Additional information about working on-campus or off-campus is available.
  4. Q. I would like to go to Canada or Mexico - what do I do?
    A. There is a handout available at the OISS that tells international students and scholars the steps they must take to contact either the Canadian or Mexican Consulates, to determine if they need a visa to enter those countries, and the information needed to make an appointment at the American Consulate in Canada or Mexico once they get to these countries, to apply for a visa for entry to the U.S. For additional information about travel outside of the U.S., visit our travel page.
  5. Q. What do I need from the OISS to travel?
    A. Whether you are an international student or scholar, you should come to the OISS prior to travel to have your visa document signed by an international student or scholar advisor prior to taking a trip. This simply tells the USCIS that you are ŇO.K.Ó to re-enter the United States. You will also need a passport and unexpired U.S. visa to re-enter the country.
  6. Q. How many credits must I take as an international student?
    A. Undergraduate students must be enrolled in 12 credits. Graduate students must be enrolled in 9 credits (without an assistantship) or 6 credits (if they hold an assistantship). Students who will go below these limits for valid reasons must speak to an international advisor prior to enrolling in fewer than that required credits. Students who have an unauthorized reduced course load will not be able to work and may be required to apply for immigration status reinstatement through the USCIS. Additional information about staying in status, can be found on the status page.
  7. Q. My address and/or phone number has changed. Who needs to know?
    A. Because databases on campus are not linked, all address and/or phone number changes should be reported to all of the following offices: The OISS, Admissions and Records, Payroll and the Library. If you do not report your address change each time you change addresses, important notices, bills and announcements are likely to be lost. Request a change of address form from Admissions and Records.
  8. Q. I am an international student and I do not know if I need to submit a tax return?
    A. Everyone in the U.S. needs to submit some form of tax return! If you have not earned any money or received any scholarship, itŐs very simple. Otherwise, it can be a bit complicated. Either way, the OISS offers workshops in February and March each year to help international students and faculty learn a bit about their tax obligations. Although we are not tax experts in the OISS, we do offer phone numbers and websites that may help. For more information about taxes, visit our tax page