Academic training (AT) allows a J-1 student to engage in work, training or experience that is directly related to the studentŐs field of study. Academic training may be:
- Paid or unpaid
- Full-time or part-time
- With one employer or several employers, (U.S. or foreign)
- Sequential or involve simultaneous activities
- Carried out during your studies or; after the completion of studies or program (beginning no later than 30 days after the completion of studies)
- Student must be in good academic standing at the time of the application.
- AT must be performed with a specific employer or training site, and be directly related to the field of study.
- Student must receive written approval in advance (prior to the beginning of the employment) from the Responsible Officer (RO) for the duration and type of academic training.
- Student must be in the U.S. primarily to study rather than engage in AT.
Degree-seeking students: Degree-seeking students are those enrolled in a Bachelors, MasterŐs, or Doctoral program. These students are permitted an overall limit of 18 months and include all period of academic training done before or after the completion of the degree. The total academic training period may not exceed the amount of time spent in a full-course of study. Example: A student who spent 12 months at URI is eligible for 12 months of academic training only.
Non-degree student: Non-degree students are those enrolled in an international exchange program at URI, through their participating home institution. The total amount of time allowed in the United States is 24 months. This period of time must include all study time and all academic training time. Approved academic training time will only equal to the amount of time spent in school. Example: A student, who spent 4 months at URI, is eligible for 4 months of academic training only.
NOTE: The Office of International Students & Scholars will not schedule AT group meetings this semester. We encourge you to make individual appointments with either
Dania Brandford-Calvo: email@example.com or
Chris Cho firstname.lastname@example.org.