Skip to main content
Scenes from the College of Arts and Sciences

Students & Scholars

Welcome to URI as International Scholars and Professors

  1. Maintaining your J-1 status
    All J-1 scholars and professors MUST remember to update OISS on all changes in their program (home address, contact information, employment, etc.). Please click here to read these regulations. Failure to report might put you out of status (click here to download the form). Please fill it out and bring or send it to OISS.

  2. Mandatory Orientation
    If you have not done so, remember to meet with an OISS staff person to complete the U.S. State Department MANDATORY New Scholar/Professor Orientation.

  3. Employment
    In general this process requires the interaction of four university departments (sponsoring department, Human Resources, OISS, Payroll Office) and one government office (Social Security Administration). If you have been offered employment by URI, please consult your department secretary to receive information on the steps you must follow to complete the Human Resources and Payroll Office employment requirements. You will need the items listed below to complete this process. Your department secretary will assist you in understanding the employment requirements and forms listed below:

    • Human Resources Forms (I-9, Drug Free Form, Internal Payroll form, W-4 Form, etc.)
    • Payroll Office (Foreign National Information Form)
    • Social Security Card (Social Security Administration)
    • OISS (letter confirming your status at URI)

    All foreign national MUST complete the Foreign National Information Form before they may begin their employment at URI. To complete the employment process at URI, bring your completed form to the Payroll Office along with the following documents:

    • Passport
    • Visa
    • I-94
    • Social Security Card
    • I-20 (if an F VISA) or DS-2019 (if a J VISA) or your approval notice (if an H1B VISA)

    The Payroll Office will enter the information from your documentation into our Windstar software to determine your taxability. The Windstar software will print out the necessary tax documents which you will need to sign. We will forward those tax documents to the Federal government for processing.

  4. Dependents If you are interested in bringing a dependant from your home country, click here