Skip to main content
Scenes from the College of Arts and Sciences

Visa & Immigration

F1/F2 Visa Information

F-1 visas will only be issued by a US Consulate to International students that intend to be full time students. The following information is provided as a guide. An F-2 visa will be issued to the dependants of an F-1 student. Please visit: American Consulate to find the nearest Us Embassy/Consulate that has jurisdiction over your visa application.

Documents to take to the US Consulate:

I-20 form issued and signed by the University of Rhode Island

Copy of the receipt of payment of the I-901 SEVIS fee.

Evidence that you have enough money to pay for your tuition, fees and other expenses. Present your Certificate of Financial Responsibility and/or letter from your Department head that you have been awarded an Assistantship.

Evidence that you intend to return to your home country after completion of studies. Proof that you have strong ties to your family and country by showing a land deed, proof that your parents own a business, or any other documents.

Evidence of English proficiency, TOFEL, GRE, or GMAT score.

Proof of a valid passport (valid for at least 6 months into the future)

Photographs, please visit USCIS Photo

F-1 visa stamp on passport

Visa reciprocity fee (if applicable). Please visit U.S. State Travel for details click here You are welcome to download the ISS handout on how to Obtain a F-1 visa click here (PDF format).

Here are some answers to common questions regarding visas:

Where can I apply for the F-1 Visa?

In most cases you can apply for your F-1 visa at the US Embassy/Consulate that has jurisdiction over your country. Depending on what country you come from, you might be able to apply for your visa at an Embassy/Consulate that is far from your country. This is called Ōthird country national (TCNÕs visa). Call the Embassy/Consulate before you make the appointment for your visa.

When can I apply for the F-1 visa?

You can apply at any time before the start date of your program (see I-20); however, the Consulate will not issue the visa until 90 days prior to the start date on the I-20.

How long after I have received the visa can I enter the US?

You can enter the US only 30 days before the start date of your program listed in you I-20 (item 5 second line).

*** More of Q&A related to F1/F2 Visa, click Q&A.