Skip to main content
Scenes from the College of Arts and Sciences

Visa & Immigration

J1/J2 Visa Information

At URI, J-1 visas are issued to three Exchange Visitor (EV) Categories, which include Research Scholars, Professors, Interns, and Exchange Students (degree and non-degree). Depending on the EV’s country of origin and category, when requesting a J-1 visa, the EV could be made subject to the “2 year home residency requirement” by the Department of State.

Always follow the guide lines given to you by the US Embassy/Consulate that issued your visa. To find which consulate has jurisdiction over your country, to get more information, please visit: American Consulate.

Documents to take to the Consulate:

DS-2019 issued and signed by a URI Responsible Officer

Copy of the receipt of payment of the I-901 SEVIS Fee. To get information about the SEVIS fee click Here

Sponsorship and/or admission letter from URI

Passport valid for at least 6 months into the future

Proof of payment of the Visa Reciprocity fee (if applicable), please visit U.S. State Travel

Here are some answers to common questions regarding J-1/J-2 visas:

Where can I apply for my J-1 Visa?

In most cases, you can apply for your visa at the US Embassy/Consulate having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

When can I apply for my J-1 visa?

You can apply at any time before the start date of your program (see dates on DS-2019). However, the consulate will not issue the visa until 90 days prior to the program start date.

How long after I have received the visa can I enter the US?

You can enter the US only 30 days before the start date of your program.