Skip to main content
Scenes from the College of Arts and Sciences

Visa & Immigration

J1 Student Information

A J-1 college or university student must be admitted to a degree program at an “accredited educational institution” for a full course of study. Depending on the country of origin and the type of program, the J-1 student may be subject to the “two year home country residence requirement”. To get information on which consulate has jurisdiction over your country, click here.

Documents to take to the US Consulate:

DS-2019 issued and signed by the University of Rhode Island

Evidence of how you will pay for your training at URI. Take your Certificate of Financial Responsibility.

Proof of Health Insurance for you and your dependents. Download the proof of health Insurance form. For more information regarding Health Insurance, click here.

Passport valid for at least 6 months into the future

Pictures, for more specification, please visit USCIS Photo

Visa reciprocity fee (if applicable), please visit Here are some answers to common questions regarding visas:

Where can I apply for the J-1 Visa?

In most cases you can apply for your J-1 student visa at the US Embassy/Consulate that has jurisdiction over your country.

When can I apply for the J-1 visa?

You can apply at any time before the start date of your program (see DS-2019); however the visa will not be issued until 90 days prior to the start date on your DS-2019.

How long after I receive my visa can I enter the US?

You can only enter the US 30 days in advance of the your program start date (see item 3, line 1 of your DS-2019)