Thinking About Retirement
If you are a Board of Governors' employee with a 403(b) retirement annuity, the following information will assist you in preparing for this special event!
Two Months Prior to Your Anticipated Retirement Date
Contact Pat Victoria in URI Employee Benefits at 874-2921 approximately two months prior to your anticipated retirement date. Pat will request some information from you in order to begin processing your retirement paperwork.
1. Some questions that Pat will need answered are:
- your address
- phone number
- spousal information (name, date of birth, and social security #)
- whether or not your spouse will need health coverage
- if you wish to continue your life insurance coverage (if applicable)
2. Contact the Social Security Administration Office at 1-866-964-2038 (Warwick, RI). You will be required to provide the following documents in order for Social Security to process your pension check:
- social security card
- birth certificate
- last year's W-2 form
- DD-214 military discharge forms (if applicable)
- your spouse's birth certificate and social security card will be needed if he/she is applying for benefits.
3. Your Social Security check must be deposited directly into your bank or credit union so have the name of your bank, your checking/savings account number, and the banks routing number with you.
4. More information on applying for your pension, as well as other important information, is available at the Social Security Administration web site.
5. Contact your retirement plan provider, i.e., TIAA-CREF, MetLife or AIG/Valic, to discuss your withdrawal options.
One Month Prior to Your Scheduled Retirement Date
1. Approximately one month prior to your retirement date, you should again contact Pat in Employee Benefits to confirm your retirement date and to finalize your benefit decisions for health insurance and life insurance (if applicable). She will then schedule a date for you to come in and sign your retirement forms.
2. Once you have decided on a retirement date, submit a retirement letter to your
- Department Chairperson/Department Head
- provide a copy to your Dean/Supervisor
- provide a copy to Pat Victoria in Employee Benefits
3. A copy of your retirement letter should be attached to the University's USP-12 Termination Form which is prepared by your department. Ideally, this USP-12 form should arrive in Human Resources no later than 30 days prior to the effective date of your retirement.
Have questions? E-mail Pat Victoria at email@example.com, or call her at 874-2921.