School of Education
Facts and Figures
- The School of Education has approximately 351 undergraduate students currently admitted in various programs.
- The School of Education has approximately 295 graduate students currently admitted in various programs.
- Education majors ranks 2nd in the institution for undergraduates*
- All Business Majors,1323
- All Education Majors, 1263
- All Engineering Majors, 1008
- All programs have a completion rate above 90% once students are admitted into the programs.
- There are 26 offered programs at the undergraduate, masters and doctoral levels.
- At the undergraduate level, students pursue degrees in 16 different areas, including early childhood education, elementary education, music, and physical education/health. We also have a full complement of certification in secondary education including English, foreign languages (French, German, Italian, Spanish), history/social studies, mathematics, and science (biology, general science, chemistry and physics). These same certification areas are generally available for returning candidates at the graduate level. In addition, certification for school library media specialist is offered at the graduate level.
- A Master of Arts in Education is offered in reading, elementary, and secondary education. A Master’s in Special Education, an MS in School Psychology, the Ph.D. in School Psychology, and the Ph.D. in Education. The Ph.D. in education is offered as a joint program with Rhode Island College.
- Shortage fields of mathematics, science (general science, biology, chemistry, physics), and special education have increasing enrollments of undergraduates and returning candidates.
- The School of Education requires all teacher education candidates to pass both the PRAXIS II PLT and the PRAXIS II content exams prior to student teaching. This has resulted in a Title II institutional pass rate on the PLT from 86% in 2003, to 90% in 2005, 96% in 2007, and 100% by the 2009.
- All candidates are double majors, with secondary education candidates majoring in their content area.
- The Office of Teacher Education has a 100% field placement rate.
- The School of Education received accreditation by NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) through 2013.
- The School of Education earned state approval through 2011.
- The School of Education utilizes a state of art online portfolio system to monitor student progress and align assessments to national and state standards.
- Certification programs have a 100% PRAXIS II licensure test and/or PLT pass rate for program completers.
- The average overall GPA for all initial licensure program completers in the spring of 2012 was 3.3, equivelent to a B+ Average.
Return to About the School of Education