School of Education
Master's of Arts in Education
Application Information & Deadlines
Admission requirements: Candidates will be selected on the basis of three key areas.
- Knowledge: All MA applicants must have and undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply to the URI Graduate School.
- Teaching Experience: All applicants must have initial certification in early childhood, elementary, or secondary education, and some teaching experience to gain admission to the reading program. Applicants should document these by providing:
- a copy of their RI teaching certificate (or certification from another state).
- a resume indicating teaching experience.
- a minimum of two letters of recommendation from personnel in a supervisory capacity qualified to comment specifically on professional abilities and strengths (for example, principals, department chairs).
- Dispositions toward teaching and learning: Applicants must demonstrate positive dispositions toward continued learning, and toward teaching all students to read and write. Applicants demonstrate dispositions though.
- a personal statement revealing their rationale for applying to the reading program and a focused goal for obtaining an advanced degree.
- a formal interview with program faculty.
Applicants should read and be aware of the Core Beliefs Statement of the School of Education.
Applications for the reading program can be obtained from the URI Graduate School Website.
Return to Master of Arts in Education
Return to Academic Programs