JUMP into action & START making a difference @URI!
Currently accepting applications for the 2013-2014 academic year! Apply today!
What is Jumpstart?
- Jumpstart is a national non-profit organization working toward the day when every child in America enters school prepared to succeed.
- Jumpstart recruits, trains, and supports college students to serve as part-time AmeriCorpsmembers, working directly with young children in early childhood education programs around Rhode Island.
- Jumpstart AmeriCorps members complete a term of 300 hours of service with partner children at a local RI Headstart or preschool center.
- Jumpstart URI corps members receive six credits in a CSV 302 online course, a $1,175 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion, and can earn work-study funds if awarded by URI.
- Corps Members also receive valuable hands-on classroom experience, leadership training, and the opportunity to implement lasting change for children in Rhode Island
General Information for Jumpstart URI
- All majors welcome!
- Full academic year program (September-May)
- Complete 300 hours of service (approximately 12 hours/week)
- Earn an AmeriCorps Education Award of $1175 upon successful completion
- Earn 6 free elective credits in CSV 302 (graded)
- Use awarded work-study funds (if awarded by URI)
- Jumpstart training provided prior to working in pre-schools
- Opportunity to become involved in various outside volunteer activities as Jumpstart partners
Steps to Join Jumpstart URI 2013-2014!
Decide if Jumpstart URI fits into your schedule for FALL 2014. Times for serving in preschool will remain the same for the entire 2014-2015 school year, so think ahead!
Jumpstart Sessions & Team Planning: M/W 2:30 pm-6:30 pm
Jumpstart Sessions & Team Planning: T/TH 11:30 am-3:30 pm
Jumpstart Sessions & Team Planning: T/TH 2:30 pm-6:30 pm
*If you have a conflict, do not let that stop you from applying! Make an appointment to meet with Holly Hernandez or Erin Mercer (874-2090) to discuss other options.
2. Complete Jumpstart 2014-2015 application for Corps Members by visiting the website www.jstart.org and clicking “Join The Corps” as a college student
3. Schedule an interview with Jumpstart Site Staff (874-2090, Chafee Hall 178) to find out the next steps.
4. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to set an appointment.
We look forward to meeting you to share more about this unique and exciting leadership opportunity!