- The department and four of its faculty members were featured in a cover story in SO Rhode Island magazine last fall. Great exposure for us!
- In May, the TMD Department graduates 70TMD majors and 10 TM majors! Congrats to each and every one of our graduates! We hope to hear of their successes and will report what we hear on our 'recent graduates' page. Welcome to our incoming freshmen!
- Spring Splash 2013 took place April 26th in Kingston. This event allows us to award scholarships, welcome alumnae to our wall of fame, and recognize new industry partners. It also raised money for next year's scholarships and we thank our major sponsors, The Jones Group and Macy's. The show travels to New York City in May where alums will mingle with student designers and models at Jones Apparel Group Headquarters.
- In the continued development of our dual degree (TMD and French, TMD and Italian) programs,
URI has a new affiliation with a fashion-art-design school in Paris, Mod Spe. Our new affiliate in Florence, Accademia Italiana, has already hosted URI students. As usual, many of our students are studying abroad this semester, with Florence being the most popular destination.
- Graduate students: Arnab Majumbdar, Susan Mullins, and Yitong Wang completed their master's degrees. Arnab is moving to Kansas to begin a position as Instructor of Fashion Merchandising in the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences at Pittsburg State University.
- The seminar class (TMD 402) is the "capstone class" for the
department's majors. It runs with a different theme each spring semester, and features
a series of guest speakers from industry. Last Spring Linda Welters led the series"The Art and Science of Fashion" . [Speaker summaries available shortly]
- We thank our part-time teachers for their contributions: Meg DeCubellis, who also teaches at RISD, taught the apparel design course. Diane Martin and Susan Jerome are teaching TMD 325 (Apparel I) with Diane stepping up to teach TMD 335 (Apparel II) too. We welcome back Richard Malachowski to teach Color Science. Deborah Baronas, a well known artist and designer in Rhode Island, continues to teach the CAD course, TMD 346. Kerry O'Hara brings her industry and consulting expertise to TMD 226. Rachel LoMonaco has added TMD 103 to her teaching repertoire.
- Last fall students in TMD 327, under the direction of Karl Aspelund, created ideas for jackets for the Women's Rowing Team to be worn at the Henley Regatta in England. Through cooperation with the Jones Group, the chosen jacket style went into production. The team wore the jackets proudly! More on this story in Quadangles magazine
- The second edition of "The Fashion Reader" by Linda Welters and Abby Lillethun was published in 2011. It includes contributions from Martin Bide, Art Mead and Ric McIntyre (Economics) and a number of the Department's Alumnae. Like the first edition, it includes illustrations from Joy Emery and The Commercial Pattern Archive as well as URI Library's Special Collections, along with photos of items from the Department's Historic Collection.
- As usual, lots of students are earning internship credits this summer. You can see a full list on the internship page!