Date: October, 1977
ADVANCE SICK LEAVE
I. APPLICABLE TO:
1. It is the responsibility of the Department Head to approve
the request after verifying that all sick
leave and vacation, as applicable, will be discharged prior to receiving an advance.
2. The Assistant Vice President for Human Resource Administration,
or his designee, has the sole
responsibility for final approval of the request.
3. The employee is responsible for paying back borrowed time.
Advanced time will automatically be
deducted from subsequent earned time until the negative balance has been repaid.
III. BASIC POLICY:
Sick Leave: 1. Sick leave with pay may be
granted in advance of accrual but not in excess of 70
hours for a 35 hour work week employee or 80 for a 40 hour work week employee.
2. An employee must have one year of service before being eligible for an advance.
3. Advanced sick leave will not be granted until all vacation
leave accrual has been
4. The department cannot hire a replacement for an employee
who is using borrowed
5. This does not apply to any work-related injury or sickness.
The Payroll Office will process advances of sick leave for an employee only with
prior approval of the
Assistant Vice President for Human Resource Administration, or his designee.
1. The employee requesting the advance time must fill out a USP-10
Form "Request for Sick Leave Advance"
along with a note from the doctor.
2. The form must then be submitted to the Dean, Director or Department Head for approval.
3. The Dean, Director or Department Head must then forward the
completed form to the Assistant Vice
President for Human Resource Administration for final approval.
4. After approval by the Assistant Vice President for Human Resource
Administration, the Human Resource
Administration Office will forward the request for advance to the Payroll Office for processing. A copy of
the approved or disapproved request will be forwarded to the Dean, Director, or Department Head
requesting the advance and a copy will remain in the employee's personnel file.
1. The request for Advance of Sick Leave Form must be
completed and submitted far enough in advance
to allow time for approvals and processing.
2. The USP-10 Form is available from the Office of Human
Resource Administration, 80 Lower College Road