Date: January 1, 1983
LEAVE OF ABSENCE WITHOUT PAY FOR CLASSIFIED EMPLOYEES
To establish policies and rules for granting leaves of absence without pay for classified employees.
II. APPLICABLE TO:
All classified employees.
1. Final approving authority for a leave of absence without
pay in excess of thirty (30) days remains
with the Assistant Vice President for Human Resource Administration. The department head must
recommend approval or disapproval and receive concurrence from the appropriate Vice President.
Each request is reviewed and approved or denied on its own merit and in accordance with the
appropriate collective bargaining contract.
2. Requests for such leaves are made in writing to the
department head who will recommend its approval
or disapproval. The written request and the recommendation are forwarded to the Assistant Vice
President for Human Resource Administration for final determination.
3. Leave to protect status for six (6) months will usually be
granted to any employee with permanent
status who accepts another permanent position of a different classification in the classified service.
Leaves will not be granted if the employee transfers laterally to another state agency. Leaves will not
be granted if the employee accepts a position outside of state service or in the non-classified service.
4. Leave to protect status may only be extended after six months in the most unusual circumstances.
5. Failure to report to work, tardiness and unauthorized
absences are not considered authorized
leaves of absence and are subject to disciplinary action.