China: Information Services
Program Not Available Summer 2011
The Library and Information Services Program will take place at Peking Univerisity in Beijing, Zhejiang University in Hangzhou and various libraries in China. Participants will learn about different types of libraries and librarianship in China, specifically the role of the traditional, academic, public, special and schools libraries in China. They will have an opportunity to visit the national Library of China, Peking University Library, Shanghai Library, Hangzhou Library, Tianyige Library in Ningbo, loyal and temple libraries, children's libraries, and learn the U.S.-China Million Book Digital Library Project, which is instituted at Zhejiang University. Students will participate, with Professor Ma, in attending the 5th Annual Shanghai (Hangzhou) International Library Forum, August 24-27. A tour of the World Expo in Shanghai will be included to end the course in Shanghai.
Program Fees: N/A
Program Fees Includes:
- Tuition for 3 URI graduate credits
- Select specialty dinners
- Travel within China
- All necessary fees for various library tours
- Cultural activities
- NOTE: All fees subject to change.
AIRFARE IS NOT INCLUDED.
- 3 URI Graduate credits for LSC 590: Chinese Information Services. This course will provide students and professionals with an opportunity to travel China while studying the history of Chinese librianship and libraries, and information services from ancient to contemporary times.
- The Seminar is a 3-credit course from GSLIS. Participants are asked to attend all class sessions and library tours in China and complete a research paper after the Seminar ends. Non-credit option is also available. Participants will attend all class sessions and library tours WITHOUT the requirement of the research paper.
- Single room
- Select specialty dinners included
- Library visits in Beijing, Hangzhou, Ningbo and Shanghai.
For more information, please contact:
Summer Programs Coordinator
37 Lower College Road
Kingston, RI, 02881
Dr. Yan Ma
China Program Director
The University of Rhode Island
Graduate School of Library & Information Studies,
94 West Alumni Ave, Rodman Hall
Kingston, RI, 02881