URI has become affiliated with more than 200 different programs in over 60 countries. However, students may wish to participate on a program not affiliated with URI. Students may opt to do this for many reasons - so you can study in a country where URI does not have a program, participate in a very unique program URI does not offer, enroll in a program recommended by peers, etc.
URI students are not prohibited from participating in non-affiliated programs but, before doing so, they must meet with an Education Abroad Advisor in the Office of International Education (OIE) to ensure:
1. They are making a decision that is best for you.
2. They are familiar with URI study abroad policies.
3. They are aware of their responsibilities related to overseas study.
4. URI will accept the credit from the non-affiliated program.
Before Applying to a Non-Affiliated Study Abroad Program know the following:
Helpful Links to Find a Non-Affiliated Study Abroad Program
Applying for a Non-Affiliated Study Abroad Program
Please be advised that URI institutional grants or scholarships (i.e. Centennial Scholarships, Hardge Grants) that you receive will apply only to a URI-Affiliated program.
After you are admitted to a Non-Affiliated Study Abroad Program you must complete the following steps:
1. URI Education Abroad Pre-departure Paperwork and Off-Campus Registration - To maintain your status as a matriculating URI student each term you are abroad, you must submit the following documents to the OIE at the same time:
If using Financial Aid to finance your semester abroad, the following document must be submitted to the URI Enrollment Services Office:
Participants should complete this process once accepted into a program and submit all materials prior to the term(s) abroad. Forms, deadlines, and directions on how to complete this process are available at: www.uri.edu/international/studyabroad/paperwork
2. Attend the OIE Education Abroad Workshops that are offered each semester in order to better prepare yourself for the overseas experience. For the workshop schedule, visit: www.uri.edu/international/studyabroad/workshops
Please be advised that:
URI institutional grants or scholarships (i.e. Centennial Scholarships, Hardge Grants) that you receive will apply only to a URI-affiliated program.
In addition to the Off-Campus Study Fee (OCS) you will be billed an OIE Administrative program fee ($350 semester/$150 summer) by URI during the regular university billing cycle for each term you are participating on an education abroad program - all fees subject to change.
Having your Study Abroad Credit Transferred Back to URI
Students that have completed a semester abroad in a non-affiliated program must ensure that an official transcript/grade report of your overseas coursework is sent to the Office of International Education at URI. Pre-approved credit will only transfer back to URI if you earn a grade equivalent to a "C" (2.00/4.00) or above.