Upon acceptance into a study abroad program, all outgoing URI study abroad students must complete the steps listed below before going overseas. Submit all documents to the Office of International Education at the same time.
Deadlines to submit this paperwork follow:
Summer, Fall semester, Academic year programs - May 1st
Spring Semester programs - December 1st
**Students studying in Italy for a semester or academic year should submit paperwork as soon as they are admitted into their program.**
1. Submit a copy of your admission letter.
2. Complete the Office of International Education Abroad Prior Approval Form: The Education Abroad Prior Approval Form assures students that they will receive transfer credit upon successful completion of an approved study abroad and/ or exchange program.
3. Pay the URI Off-Campus Registration Fee:
The Off-Campus Registration (OCS999) Fee is used to register students while on study abroad. This non-refundable fee maintains your matriculation as a full-time student at URI. In addition, it allows you to qualify for financial aid and maintain health insurance coverage during your program abroad, as well as to transfer the credits earned abroad back to URI.
OCS 999 Instructions
4. Proof of enrollment in a Travel Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Plan: The University of Rhode Island requires that Education Abroad participants obtain medical evacuation and repatriation insurance for the duration of the overseas program. You will be expected to enroll in the URI authorized Travel Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Plan if your program provider does not provide travel medical evacuation and repatriation coverage that complies with the URI Office of Risk Management’s regulations.
For information on this plan and to access the on-line enrollment form, visit:
Using Financial Aid?
5. Financial Aid: If using Financial Aid bring the completed form(s) below and along with a copy of a brochure and/or acceptance letter from the study abroad program, which itemizes the costs of the program as well as indicate the start and end dates of the program bring it to Enrollment Services-Financial Aid in Green Hall.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are experiencing difficulties downloading the forms listed above, you may obtain copies of all documents by visiting the Office of International Education located on the third floor of the International Center, 37 Lower College Road.
NEXT STEP: Attend a Study Abroad Workshop