Skip to main content
Scenes from the College of Arts and Sciences

Employment Process


Employment Process : F-1 and J-1 (all categories)

In general, both F-1 and J-1 students are permitted to work part time, on-campus during the academic year; and full-time during school official breaks or vacation. They must contact our office to complete the on-campus employment permission form before beginning a period of employment. Any employment that is not authorized by our office will be considered as unlawful employment and will cause them to lose their immigration status.

  • F-1 students are not permitted to work off-campus during the first academic year.
  • F-2 dependents cannot accept employment or monetary compensation of any kind
  • J-1 students are not permitted to work unless authorized by their home government and OISS.
  • J-1 student-interns can work a full work load (35+hours) and receive wages at URI only.
  • J-1 research scholars and professors are not restricted to the 20 hour limit. However, they must obtained clearance from the OISS if offered employment by another employer not at URI.
  • J-2 dependents are permitted to work with permission from the Department of Homeland Security (any location). They must obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) before beginning employment.

The employment process requires the interaction of four university departments (sponsoring department, Human Resources, OISS, Payroll Office) and one government office (Social Security Administration). If you have been offered employment by URI, please consult your department secretary to receive information on the steps you must follow to complete the Human Resources and Payroll Office employment requirements. You will need the items listed below to complete this process. Your department secretary will assist you in understanding the employment requirements and forms listed below:

  • Human Resources Forms (I-9, Drug Free Form, Internal Payroll form, W-4 Form, etc.)
  • Payroll Office (Foreign National Information Form)
  • Social Security Card (Social Security Administration)
  • OISS (letter confirming your status at URI)

All foreign national MUST complete the Foreign National Information Form before they may begin their employment at URI. To complete the employment process at URI, bring your completed form to the Payroll Office along with the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-94
  • Social Security Card
  • I-20 (if an F VISA) or DS-2019 (if a J VISA) or your approval notice (if an H1B VISA)

The Payroll Office will enter the information from your documentation into our Windstar software to determine your taxability. The Windstar software will print out the necessary tax documents which you will need to sign. We will forward those tax documents to the Federal government for processing.

University of Rhode Island • Office of International Students & Scholars • International Center • 37 Lower College Road; Kingston, Rhode Island, 02881


International Student Orientation
Date: September 6, 2010

Time: 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM:

           Graduate Students

          12:00 NOON to 2:00 PM:

          Undergraduate Students

Place: Multi-Cultural Center

March 18, 2010
Reporting responsibilities of F-1 International Students while on (OPT)

February 1, 2010
Spring 2010 OPT workshop schedules are announced.

Spring 2010
Host Family Application Download in PDF format