New International Students: F-1 and J-1 visa
*You need Acrobat Reader to open PDF format forms. Please
click here to download Acrobat Reader.
- Register with OISS
All new F-1 or J-1 students MUST register with the OISS. Complete this form click here and submit it to the OISS.
- Maintaining your Status
Now that you have been admitted to the US as an F-1 or J-1 student, the Department of Homeland Security requires that you maintain valid status by practicing the following good practices,
- Part-time Information
click here to read your obligations as a part-time student.
- Special Registration
All F-1 and J-1 categories from certain countries are required to go through "Special Registration" with the Department of Homeland Security,
here to see the details.
- URI Academic Requirements
- To register for classes, click here
- To register for a reduced course load, click here to download the form
- To transfer to another university or college, click
here to download transfer form
In general, this process requires the interaction of four university departments (sponsoring department, Human Resources, OISS, Payroll Office) and one government office (Social Security Administration). If you have been offered employment by URI, please consult your department secretary to receive information on the steps you must follow to complete the Human Resources and Payroll Office employment requirements. You will need the items listed below to complete this process. Your department secretary will assist you in understanding the employment requirements and forms listed below:
- Human Resources Forms (I-9, Drug Free Form, Internal Payroll Form, W-4 Form, etc.)
- Payroll Office (Foreign National Information Form)
- Social Security Card (Social Security Administration)
- OISS (letter confirming your status at URI)
The Payroll Office will enter the information from your documentation into our Windstar software to determine your taxability. The Windstar software will print out the necessary tax documents which you will need to sign. We will forward those tax documents to the Federal government for processing.
If you are interested in bringing a dependant from your home country, please click here
OISS has scheduled some activities for students, scholars and their dependents. Please check the activity calendar to join in!
- ORIENTATION: The OISS will deliver a MANDATORY New Students and Scholars Orientation.
- NEW ARRIVALS: Within 30 days of your arrival in the United States, visit our office with your passport, I-20/DS-2019 form and the I-94 form.
- ALL ARRIVALS: Failure to report to the Office of International Students and Scholars is considered a violation of your student status by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
University of Rhode Island • Office of International Students & Scholars • International Center • 37 Lower College Road; Kingston, Rhode Island, 02881