Skip to main content
Scenes from the College of Arts and Sciences

F1/F2 Visa Information

General Information | F1 and F2 | J1 and J2 | J1 Students | J1 Scholars | H1 Visa | Resources


After receiving a letter of admission, to receive an I-20 (F-1 visa) from the University of Rhode Island, applicants must follow the steps listed below:

  • Submit the admission letter (undergraduate or graduate) to a degree program of study.
  • Submit proof of funding for (12 months) for self and dependents (when applicable). Proof of funding may be submitted as a bank statement, assistantship or fellowship letter, a notarized Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR) within 30 days of your admission.

OISS will not issue an I-20 form until all items have been received. For information on estimated cost to URI, click here

Once you have an I-20 form from URI, you can make arrangements to obtain a visa from the US Embassy or Consulate that serves your country. If you are bringing dependents, OISS will prepare I-20's/DS-2019's forms for each one of your dependents. F-1 visas will only be issued by a US Consulate to international students that intend to be full-time students.

Please visit: American Consulate to find the nearest US Embassy/Consulate that has jurisdiction over your visa application.

Documents to take to the US Consulate:

  1. I-20 form issued and signed by the University of Rhode Island.
  2. Copy of the receipt of payment of the I-901 SEVIS fee.
  3. Evidence that you have enough money to pay for your tuition, fees and other expenses. Present your Certificate of Financial Responsibility and/or letter from your Academic Department if you have been awarded an Assistantship.
  4. Evidence that you intend to return to your home country after completion of study. Proof that you have strong ties to your family and country by showing a land deed, proof that your parents own a business, or any other documents.
  5. Evidence of English proficiency, TOFEL, GRE, or GMAT score.
  6. Proof of a valid passport (valid for at least 6 months into the future)
  7. Photographs, please visit USCIS Photo
  8. F-1 visa stamp on passport
  9. Visa reciprocity fee (if applicable). Please visit U.S. State Travel for details click here

You are welcome to download the ISS handout on how to obtain an F-1 visa, click here (PDF format).

Here are some answers to common questions regarding visas:

  1. Where can I apply for the F-1 visa?

    In most cases you can apply for your F-1 visa at the US Embassy/Consulate that has jurisdiction over your country. Depending on what country you are from, you might apply for your visa at an Embassy/Consulate that is far from your country. This is called "third country national" (TCN's visa). Call the Embassy/Consulate before you make the appointment for your visa.
  2. When can I apply for the F-1 visa?

    You can apply at any time before the start date of your program (see I-20); however, the Consulate will not issue the visa until 90 days prior to the start date on the I-20.
  3. How long after I have received the visa can I enter the US?

    You can enter the US only 30 days before the start date of your program listed in you I-20 (item 5 second line).
*** More of Q&A related to F1/F2 Visa, click Q&A.


University of Rhode Island • Office of International Students & Scholars • International Center • 37 Lower College Road; Kingston, Rhode Island, 02881


International Student Orientation

Graduate Students

Date: Thursday, August 21, 2014

Time: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon

Place: Multicultural Center, Harge Forum Room


Degree and Exchange International Students

Date: Friday, August 29, 2014

Time: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon

Place: Multicultural Center, Harge Forum Room

Conditional Admission Degree Students: A.C.E. Language Institute and RIA ELI

Date: Friday, August 29, 2014

Time: 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Place: Multicultural Center, Harge Forum Room


Reporting responsibilities of F-1 International Students while on (OPT)

FALL 2014 OPT workshop schedule: TBA

Host Family Application Download in PDF format