WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY OF RHODE
If you plan to join URI for fall 2014, as a matriculated degree undergraduate, please visit: www.uri.edu/orientation/springadvising for academic advising information:
Fall Advising Day will be held on: TBD
SUMMER 2014 SCHEDULE - TBA
UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION
Every year, in the month of June, the Office of New Student Programs plans a series of orientation meetings and events for domestic and international freshman or transfer undergraduate students. Typically, the Orientation Events will include:
- Overview of University Services
- How to get involved at URI
- Overview of University Systems
- Information about to URI Academics
- And much more
For more information on this Orientation, visit: http://www.uri.edu/orientation/
Please note that Orientation events are organized for students and parents/guardians according to the student's category:
- First-Year Students
- First-Year Families
- Transfer Students
- Transfer Families
If you are a international freshman or transfer student and plan to attend an URI June Orientation event, remember that you may not stay on campus after completion of the June Orientation unless you have been admitted to begin your studies in the summer.
- Student visas cannot be issued more than 1 month
prior to the start of your studies (full-time in the summer or semester).
- If you are not already in the United States, you will need to secure a tourist visit
to attend an URI Orientation event/session in June and depart.
- If you have a 90 days tourist visa that permits you to remain in the US prior to the start of school, you will need to exit the US and reenter with the F-1/J-1 visa.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require information about this process.
Do not attempt to gain immigration related information from the New Student Program Office.
Note: Whether you attend a URI June Orientation event/session or not, you are expected to attend the Welcome Week planned for New International Students. This event includes a series of workshop that specifically targets international students (all categories).
Housing is also available for the Welcome Week at an additional cost.
INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL STUDENT EXCHANGE
The Office International Education and National Student Exchange
in conjunction A.C.E. Language Institute and the office of New Student Programs
are very excited to welcome you to the URI Community during our pre-semester
Welcome Week Orientation.
To register for the mandatory "Welcome Week" orientation, you must read through ALL
information below and complete and return the Arrival
The Pick-up Service (airport or train) and Welcome Week events are
planned for all of the following students:
- All Exchange and Visiting Undergraduate Students from Partner Universities
(Single semester or a Full Academic Year)
- New E.S.L. Undergraduate Students and BSMP students at the A.C.E. Language Institute, as well as Roosevelt International Academy students
- New International Undergraduate Freshman
- New International Undergraduate Transfer Students
Fall 2014 WELCOME
Students should not purchase flights or plan their
arrival until they have read through the Welcome Week Schedule.
Download the Welcome Week Schedule (PDF) by clicking the
calendar icon right ----->.
- Read through the Welcome Week Schedule, then complete and return the
- Follow the instructions to save and e-mail the completed arrival form before
the deadline to email@example.com. Please
do not submitted a partially completed form. If you are unable to save the form
and email it, Please print it out after filling it in eletronically then fax it
to our office at 1-401- 874-4573.
- Am I required to attend this Welcome Week
- All Exchange Students and First time International Students are asked to
plan their arrival for the day and date listed on the Welcome Week Schedule
above. If you have difficulties arriving on either the early arrival date or the
later arrival date, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your concerns.
Pick-up is only available on the arrival dates.
- On which day should I arrive in Rhode Island?
- Listed on the Welcome Week Schedule, we prefer that all students attempt to
arrive on the Arrival Day. If this is not possible please
try for the following day (listed as the Late Arrival Day). You may miss the
shopping trip and other planned events on the late arrival date if you arrive
after 10:00am that day.
- Can I arrive on another date?
- Students are discouraged from arriving earlier than our arrival dates, but
can do so if you arrange your own housing off campus. Please check in with our
office on the listed arrival day. Students should not arrive later than the
arrival dates unless there are extenuating circumstances.
- Is it OK for me to make my way to campus on my
- Yes! We would he happy to pick you up on the arrival days, however you have
the option to make it to campus on your own. Please visit www.ripta.com for
local bus transportation or www.amtrak.com for train information (Kingston RI
Train Station). Taxis are available from all areas in Rhode Island but are
- Am I required to submit a copy of my flight
- We prefer that you submit a copy of your flight itinerary listing your U.S.
arrival in case of emergency or errors on your arrival form. You are not
required to submit this but be sure that accurate information is entered on the
- After I submit the Arrival Form, when will I recieve details
about my pick up?
- Students will receive pick-up instructions around 2 weeks before their
international departure. Please be sure to check you e-mail for communication
from our office.
- Is the pick-up service available from the Boston Logon Airport,
NYC area airports or from downtown Providence?
- No. Our office will only arrange for pick up on the specific arrival days
from the [PVD] T.F. Green Airport, the Kingston Rhode Island Train Station [KIN]
or those students who arrive early and are staying in the the [PVD] T. F. Green
Airport area hotels. All other arriving students must make their way to campus
for the specified arrival day from other transit ports.
- Where will the pick-up service collect me?
- Students will be collected from the PVD T.F. Green Airport or the Kingston
Rhode Island train station. We will also provide pick-up service for students who arrive early and are staying
overnight at a hotel in the T. F. Green Airport area. Details will be included in your pre-departure e-mail from our
- Are there specific times that my flight/train should arrive?
- We would prefer that your flight arrive between the hours of 6:00am - 6:00pm
on the arrival days. We will do our best to accommodate students who arrive
betweeen 6:00pm and 12:00am on the arrival dates.
- Who should I contact in case of changes to my flight or train?
- Please use the email@example.com e-mail address if you have unexpected
changes to your travel plans. You can also call the emergency phone number
listed on the "Welcome Week Schedule".
- When is the deadline for submitting this form?
- Deadlines are listed on the first page of the form. Deadlines are typically
July 15 for Fall arrivals and December 15 for Spring arrivals. Consult the
Arrival Form for exact dates.
- What is a peer ambassador?
- Peer Ambassadors are URI student volunteers who assist incoming
international and national exchange students with their transition to campus and
their new environment. Should you have interest in being matched with an Ambassador, you will receive the contact information of your match prior
to your arrival at URI, and will meet with him or her during orientation or the
first week of class. Please indicate your interest in being matched with a URI
Peer Ambassador on the Arrival Form.
- More Questions?
- As you begin your transition to URI, we encourage you to let us know of ways
we can help you prepare. Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any