University of Rhode Island Libraries
With much more than just silver bells and
cockle shells! If you want your garden to thrive this year, check out the
display in the University Library lobby.
information on every aspect of gardening — from
planning to planting, tips & techniques, and much more.
There are books, periodicals, and websites, as well as information
about the URI Cooperative Extension Service’s
Master Gardener Program.
© 2004 Home Garden Design.info, Plant and Flower
April 5, 2007
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Search in the HELIN Catalog,
using these suggested Subject Headings to locate a wealth of good books:
- organic gardening
- ornamental horticulture
- plant propagation
- vegetable gardening
Recommendations from the Reference
American Horticultural Society A-Z
Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
Ref SB403.2 A45 1997
- Covers cultivation, propagation, optimal climate, and soil conditions
for each plant.
American Horticultural Society
Encyclopedia of Gardening
Ref SB450.95 A45 2003
- Very good source for information on garden planning, tools, equipment,
soil, greenhouses, methods, and techniques.
Herbaceous Perennial Plants,
2nd ed. 1997
Armitage, Allan M.
Ref SB434 A76
- Brief but good information on planting techniques, soil types, and
Bailey, Liberty Hyde and Ethel Zoe Bailey, compilers
Ref SB45 B22 1976
- This is the classic reference work for the cultivation of garden
Ball Red Book, 16th
Ref SB405 B254 1998
- This guide contains a wealth of information and advice on cultivating
each plant covered, especially for the nurseryman and flower shop owner.
It is a classic.
Bush-Brown, Louise, and James Bush-Brown
Ref SB453 B9 1996
- Written with the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. Good advice on garden
planning, plant selection and methods.
Complete Encyclopedia of Garden Flowers
Ref SB403.2 C65 2003
- Lists characteristics of each plant, including frost tolerance and
New York Botanical Garden Illustrated
Encyclopedia of Horticulture
Everett, Thomas H.
Ref SB317.58 E94
- With ten volumes, this is one of the most complete encyclopedias; has
full information on every plant.
Landscape Plants for Eastern North America
Flint, Harrison L.
Ref SB435.5 F56 1997
- All growing conditions — climate, soil,
planting time, and more — covered for each
Hillier Manual of Trees and Shrubs
Ref SB435 H54 2002
- Dictionary format covers 1500 species, with very brief entries.
Encyclopedia of Planting Combinations
Ref SB454.3 C64 L67
- Fully illustrated with color photographs, this is a visual guide to
Ball Perennial Manual: Propagation and
Ref SB 434 N37 1996
- For each plant: description, propagation, growth, varieties, uses, and
A New Royal Horticultural Society
Dictionary of Gardening
Ref SB450.95 D53 1992
- In four volumes; a full entry on each genus, with complete cultivation
information, and brief descriptions of the species under each genus.
Rodale's All New Encyclopedia of Organic
Ref SB453.5 R633 1992
- Very good practical guide to all aspects of organic gardening.
Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
Ref SB403.2 T39
- Arranged alphabetically. Very good illustrations and a
“How to Grow”
paragraph for each plant.
Articles from magazines and journals:
To find gardening articles in journals and magazines, search in these
recommended Reference Databases. Suggested searches: enter the common or
scientific name of the plant, plus additional terms such as pruning,
propagation, cultivation, etc.
Academic Search Premier
- Online, generally from mid 1990s to present, updated daily. Broad
subject coverage. Many of the articles are available electronically in
Biological and Agricultural Index Plus.
- Online, 1983-present, updated daily. Covers about 300 major journals
including ecology and wildlife biology. Good for
scientific information and research.
Useful Web Sites:
Websites can also be good sources of information. No endorsement is intended
or implied for any commercial components of these websites.
Brooklyn Botanical Garden
- Announcements of current events, gardening topics, library, gift shop,
- Gateway to plant societies, clubs and botanical gardens and retailers.
Includes events calendar, shop, and more.
Association : Gardening Resources
- Includes articles, plant finder, weed library, how-to projects, pest
control library, and news.
- Information on horticulture, educational opportunities, and the
Arboretum master plan.
The WWW Virtual
Library: Garden Links
- Major gateway to additional websites, including general gardening &
horticultural sites, US & international sites, botanical gardens, glossary
of terms, and much more.
Larry Kelland & Kate Cheromcha, Reference Librarians
Reference Unit, University Library