Piano, Bass, Trombone, or Trumpet
Please prepare the following requirements. All Music must be memorized.
Play the melody to Billie’s Bounce in concert F.
The lead sheet can be found in Jamey Aebersold Play-a-long Volume 6, “All Bird.”
Improvise on the same 12 bar blues in concert F.* The lead sheet can be found in Jamey Aebersold Play-a-long Volume 6, “All Bird”
*You will be asked to improvise in other keys such as Bb, C, E flat, G, or D.
Sight Read a lead sheet melody and/or big band chart excerpt. Chordal Instruments need to be ready to play the chords from the chord symbols as well.
Perform a jazz ballad of your choice with the melody and improvisation. Examples of selections include I Can’t Get Started, Prelude To A Kiss, I Got It Bad and That Ain’t Good, or ’Round Midnight. Any selection from the Jamey Aebersold Play–A-Longs, Volumes 32 and 110 are appropriate.
Play a bebop melody and improvise. Selections can be taken from Jamey Aebersold Play-A-Long Volume 6, “All Bird”
Play a prepared selection of your choice.
Some suggestions for bass are:
60 Melodic Etudes by John Patitucci
The Elephant from Carnival of the Animals by Saint Saens
Tre Giorni by Pergolese
Jazz bass players auditioning on string bass are expected to play with the bow.
Please contact Professor Joe Parillo, Associate Professor of Music and Director of Jazz Studies with any general questions or questions about piano auditions.
Instructor: Steve Langone
Make a selection of one of the following Jazz Standards. ( 12 measure blues or a 32 measure AABA form)
12 Blues- Now's The Time (Charlie Parker), Straight, No Chaser or Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk)
32 Bar AABA form -Satin Doll (Duke Ellington), Take The 'A' Train (Billy Strayhorn)
1) Sing melody and play jazz time on the ride cymbal while playing beats 2&4 on the hihat with foot.
2) Play melody on snare drum, use accented and unaccented notes, while playing the hihat on 2&4 with foot.
3) Improvise using the melody
Selected Grooves: ( to be played at slow, medium and fast tempos)
1) 4/4 swing
2) 3/4 swing
3) Bossa Nova
1) sight reading rhythms from Ted Reed's "Syncopation" book
2) OPTIONAL- a transcription of a well known jazz artist (i.e. Philly Jo Jones, Jo Jones, Max Roach, Art Taylor)
Please contact Steve Langone with any questions that you have about the drum set auditions.
Instructor: Jared Sims
The three components of the URI jazz saxophone audition are listed as follows:
Prospective students should play a melody and improvise on at least two contrasting pieces from the Real Book or from another source. Students will be evaluated on tone quality, melodic and rhythmic precision, as well as the ability to interpret melodies and adhere to harmonies. Performance by memory is strongly encouraged.
Be prepared to play all major scales.
III. Prepared Piece
Perform a prepared piece such as
a printed jazz transcription (such as from the Charlie Parker Omnibook)
a bebop melody like Donna Lee or Billie’s Bounce
an etude or classical repertoire
Other important information:
- The jazz audition can be played on any saxophone (alto, tenor, baritone, or soprano).
- Doubles (flute and clarinet) are not required for the audition.
- Doubles can be prepared for the audition if the student desires to demonstrate these skills.
Please contact Jared Sims with any questions that you have about the saxophone auditions.
Instructor: Eric Hofbauer
Guitarists will be required to do the following:
1. play the 12 major scales
2. play major 7th, minor 7th and dominant 7th arpeggios in all 12 keys
3. play root position chords (D string, A string and E string voicings) for major 7th, minor 7th, dominate 7th, and minor 7th flat 5 in all 12 keys
4. comp through a 12 bar blues in C, F, B flat and E flat
5. sight read a chord chart lead sheet (a jazz standard) and sight read a simple melody from lead sheet
6. play the melody, comp the chords, and take two improvised choruses on two tunes:
Straight No Chaser, Mr. P.C, or Blues for Alice
What is This Thing Called Love, Oleo, or There is No Greater Love.
Please contact Eric Hofbauer with any questions that you have about the guitar auditions.