URI Students' WebMail moves to Google
1. Why are we moving from the old email system to Google's Gmail?
2. How do I access the new Gmail account?
3. What will my email address be?
It will be the same as your WebMail before the @. For example, if it was firstname.lastname@example.org it now is email@example.com
4. What will be my username and password?
Your User ID and password are the same as those that you use for Sakai, Wireless access, or WebMail.
5. Can I choose to keep using the old email account?
Only for a short time to forward any files you currently have in your WebMail account that you want to keep. Here are the transition dates to keep in mind:May 23, 2010, @my.uri.edu becomes your official URI email address. Email sent to your @mail.uri.edu address will automatically be forwarded to your new @my.uri.edu account. This will continue until September 1, 2011.
6. What if I already have been forwarding my WebMail to a different Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo or other account?
If you have been forwarding your WebMail to another email system, you will continue to receive any email sent to your forwarded address. You don't have to do anything. If you wish to forward your new my.uri.edu email address, you can do so after May 23. To do this, go to www.uri.edu/its/communications/email.html and select "Forwarding Your Email" under Students. Proceed according to the instructions.
7. What happens to my old email?
As of Oct. 1, all student mail.uri.edu addresses and mail will be deleted.
8. What if I am graduating in May? What will happen to my email?
The advantage of your @my.uri.edu account is that you'll be able to keep it even after you graduate!
9. What if I already have a Gmail account?
It's okay if you already have a personal Gmail account. Any of your personal Google accounts will not, in any way, be affiliated with your new @my.uri.edu account.
10. How much storage space do I have in my new @my.uri.edu account?
Each student will have about 7 GB of storage space from Google, compared to URI's WebMail that provides just 10 megabytes.
11. How much is this costing the University?
$0 - Google's Gmail and its affiliated services are free.
12. Will I see ads in my email?
As part of Google Apps for Education URI GMail will be free of advertisements.
13. Will my mobile phone or other mobile device work with Gmail and Google Calendar?
Depending on the phone service or type of device you have, Gmail and other Google applications should work. Go to http://www.google.com/mobile/ to see the Google services that may work with your device.
14. What kind of help is available during this change?
URI's Help Desk and Google's Online Help are your go-to help resources.
15. What if I am an employee who is also taking a class. Will my student @my.uri.edu account be instead of my work email?
Employees enrolled into a course will automatically receive a student my.uri.edu account to which all official URI business regarding their studies will be sent. Their official URI employee address will continue to be the @mail.uri.edu or Exchange address to which all official URI mail regarding employment will be sent. Employees must not forward their @mail.uri.edu address to @my.uri.edu! The two addresses must remain separate and both must be checked when employee and student status are simultaneous.